Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,199 Posts
You seem to be looking down (at the music?) which affecting your posture and embouchure. You're getting a bit of the 'sax player's stance'. Get a msuic stand. Look forward and relax a bit.

·
Registered
506 Posts
relax a bit.
I agree that you look rather tense all around. (it's hard to be sure from the camera angle) You seemed to get more comfortable with what you were doing toward the end and that made it easier for me to relax and enjoy your playing more. I also noticed that you started every phrase with a heavy accent. If that's what you intended, then OK. (although I think it would be more musical to not do that) But be careful not to develop the bad habit of needing to 'blast' the note to get the sound going.

I applaud your willingness to stick your neck out and let others evaluate your playing and look forward to your next video.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rondalo, you re right. I was too tense trying not to screw up. I'll watch those first notes as well.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,144 Posts
Your embouchure looks and sounds a bit pinched. Try holding the saxophone at an angle that puts the neck and mouthpiece in a straight line to the back of your throat. That way you might not be tempted to pinch so much. The air column will flow more naturally and you'll have more flexibility with your embouchure.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cooljazz, I'll try that. Pinching is a problem with me when I get anxious. When i play long tones, I work on a very loose embouchure. I'll try what you say during long tone practice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts