·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The original piece has a great tone, dark and smooth. It makes it play in tune without significant effort on almost all notes.
The only problem is that it is very closed, and has a lot of resistance. I am sending it to Joe @ soprano planet for refacing. He loves old King sopranos...

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have owned various C sopranos but not a King. I love the Bb curvies though. When I was trying to find a proper C mouthpiece for a Conn, I had Theo Wanne send me a few to try. None of them helped the intonation although the King mouthpiece was quite good. I have a Martin now and for all the Cs I have owned the best mouthpieces have been the Yamahas in a 4C or 3C. The intonation is the best I have found and the sound is very nice. Since they are so cheap, you may want to get a 4C. If it touches the octave pad, you can just trim a bit off of it.
Nice find on the King! I want to try one someday. Some corrections you may want to address: On the Kings the G# lever often does not have a stop which can be annoying as your finger just keeps going after the pad opens. To correct, build up a cork (wine bottle) and glue it to the underside of the lever to make a stop on the body. Another fix that you may consider is taking the cork off of the palm Eb and slightly bending the lever up a little. Originally it is designed to open the D palm along with the Eb BUT if you want to play E and F or higher, this Eb key needs to open without the D key. A lever to body cork will need to be crafted to make a stop for the Eb lever. Then you can finger E by fingering G#2 and adding the palm Eb (only) and F by fingering A2 and the Eb palm. Since these notes are a bit hard to get out, I usually leave it factory with the Eb also opening the D.
Bruce,
thanks for the great tips. I bought the Yamaha 4C after reading some of your posts, and it works well form the intonation perspective and ease of playing it. The sound I get is (of course) different from the original mouthpiece. The original one is darker and smoother...
I need to play more with the 4C to explore the possibilities and decide if I like it as much as the original one.
It is great to have options.
I will check the mods you suggested when I am back home.

Cheers

1 - 4 of 4 Posts