Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so after many years of being a member this is a first time sharing some of my playing. This is a trio I work with on saturday nights at a restaurant, we play everything from Alicia Keys and Amy Winehouse to Duke and Etta James. I solo after the scat solo on both tunes. Let me know what you think!

http://soundcloud.com/ccerpa

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
This is decent. I would be pleased to listen to more of this trio. In general, your soloing suits the music. The mouthpiece sounds a little stuffy to me. Sunny side was pushing the vocalists' bottom range limit. She sounded better on Black bird, though. I would have liked to have heard some piano solos. The pianist is doing a great job.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the comments, and live the piano player stretches but for some reason he didnt want to on the session.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Yeah man. I can dig it for sure! I dont normally like jazz vocalists, but your singer has a Jane Monheit quality that I enjoy. Jane Monheit is one of my few favorite jazz singers too. But anyways, great trio you got goin. I like how simple the sound is without having the drums in there. Sometimes, a drummer can be overbearing...not often...but sometimes. I like simplicity in a sound and this fits the bill just right. Sax playing sounds pretty thoughtful too. I can almost feel the emotions...and I mean that with great sincerity. I enjoy listening the music I can feel as opposed to just listening.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah man. I can dig it for sure! I dont normally like jazz vocalists, but your singer has a Jane Monheit quality that I enjoy. Jane Monheit is one of my few favorite jazz singers too. But anyways, great trio you got goin. I like how simple the sound is without having the drums in there. Sometimes, a drummer can be overbearing...not often...but sometimes. I like simplicity in a sound and this fits the bill just right. Sax playing sounds pretty thoughtful too. I can almost feel the emotions...and I mean that with great sincerity. I enjoy listening the music I can feel as opposed to just listening.

Thank you so much for the kind comments! It's funny you mention Jane, she is one of our favorite singers too. I'm glad you enjoyed listening to it!

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
Nice. But sincerely, I think that in your soloing you need to follow the chord changes more closely. Good luck to you and your trio!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Both songs were very nice. Your vocalist and piano player are both outstanding. You are very good. I like the confidence you play with. Your solos are very thoughtful and you keep the same feel as the song. On the second song you did get a little away from the changes. I chalked it up to you exploring a mode? Overall sounds great, good players are hard to find!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Both songs were very nice. Your vocalist and piano player are both outstanding. You are very good. I like the confidence you play with. Your solos are very thoughtful and you keep the same feel as the song. On the second song you did get a little away from the changes. I chalked it up to you exploring a mode? Overall sounds great, good players are hard to find!
Thanks, and yeah my band mates are great. Yeah I might have gone outside the changes a little, but sometimes in the studio you get a little excited and start to let your inhibitions go and just play. It might not be perfect but I am proud of our first recording, i dont think to was to bad for 3 people in their 20s.

Thanks for the comments guys, its a life long process

1 - 8 of 8 Posts