Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first video of my jazz quartet (see sig) I've posted on the internet. I thought it was pretty good, so I figured I'd see what the good folks at SOTW thought. We played at my school's spring band concert. The tune is "Softly, as in a Morning Sunrise."

Part one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaOi4t-dDpw

Part two:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc3Ll4kgzH4
(My dad's camera cuts off after filming for five minutes, so we missed the last 8 bars of the bass solo)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,511 Posts
Very nice. Man, oh, man though.....that's not good to have the drummer in front of the rest of you...he's basically playing blind (am sure it was out of necessity and not desire).

You guys are good....everyone's a good player ! Mahnattan Beach, eh ?....do you know a HS'er named Katie Kelly ? She's a friend of my daughter's. I like that town !

Gotta say dude.....you guys are cookin' ! I bet half the folks here wish they could swing it like you 4.....

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, yeah you can see in the video the drummer is basically looking over one shoulder or the other the whole time. The deal is, my school's auditorium is not quite acoustically appropriate for a jazz band. Too ambient and "messy" sounding. So what my band director tried to do this concert to make us sound clearer is move us off the stage into the orchestra pit on risers. So the saxes were basically playing at eye level with the front row of the audience and the trombones were behind us on the next riser up and the trumpets standing on the front edge of the stage. The drums were on the riser with the trombones. Ideally, we would have had the piano there instead of the drums with them up on the stage, but there isn't enough space on the riser to fit that piano and it isn't really practical/feasible to move it off of that stage onto the riser. When the jazz band had finished its portion of the concert (I play lead alto), I simply got up and went up around and onto the stage next to the piano. There was really nothing we could do about the location of the drums; we needed to just be able to do it as it was because we were really filler while we transitioned from the jazz band to the symphonic band (all the kids you see going by behind us while we are playing). So yeah, that's the story about the drums being in front of the group.

Anyway, thanks for the compliments. And I didn't know Katie personally (she graduated last year). I saw her acting though because I played in the orchestra for one of the plays they put on at Mira Costa. It was Crazy for You, which is a George Gershwin musical. Fun stuff.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Soooooo how many people are in your quarter?

Great job though. Really makes me want to start a quartet when I get into high school next year.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts