Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All I can say is "FRIGGIN' WOW"!!!!

I have always had a student horn, even when I was majoring in music in college. Now I know exactly what you miss when you never step up! The sound is fantastic, but aside from that the action of the keys is phenomenal! I can flutter up and down the whole range, and the keys rebound right under my fingertips. If this beast is an intermediate sax, then I can't wait to try out a pro model (though a few on here have referred to these saxes as having many pro features).

I believe my sax is a 1997 model as the serial number is 600xxx. It has only Jupiter in "wheat" on the bell and Taiwan on the back below the serial. Of course, it came with a UMI plastic mouthpiece, but I have my Rico Royals coming in soon. The thing looks incredible for a 11 year old horn, and it is heavy and solid (very tank-like as many on here have mentioned).

Doing Jazz licks has always been a bit of a trial with the saxophones I've used up until now, but I sure can see the light now! I will never go back to student horns, and Jupiter (with the quality and low price) may well be my brand of choice from here on out!

Mike

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,409 Posts
I think Jupiter will soon be joining "The Big Four" before long then we will have "The Big Five"!! You think yours is good? the new Artist series is Big 4 standard
Regards BF

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Artist Series may definitely come into play later on, but I needed a good priced horn. Here are the financials of my getting this horn:

Bought a Bundy II alto for - $100 (talked him down from $150)
Sold the Bundy II alto for - $130
------
Total profit - $ 30
Bought my Jupiter 767 for - $142.50
---------
Total horn cost after buying - $112.50
and selling
Add 2 Rico Royal MPs - $ 17.50
----------
Pretty nice set up for - $130.00

So I basically got my Jupiter horn for $112.50 plus the cost of one mouthpiece for two, and it is such a sweet horn! Now if I could find an Artist Series for $150 - $200 that would be a real gem of a deal (but not likely of course). Again, no more student horns for me.

Mike

·
Banned
2,163 Posts
Woah. Those prices are crazy low, IMO... My student Yamaha was $500 and I thought I got a good deal... Good luck with the horn!:D

Btw, that serial does mean 1997 if the sax says JAS-769-767. SAS-769-767 in that serial range would be 1987.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey you guys,

I got a great offer on a used JAS-769-769: 430 $
I've never playing sax before, though I'm getting lessons soon.. But should I buy it?

Bror

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Jupiters don't seem to get much respect in the US but I saw as many, if not more, of them as Yamaha 23 series saxes in Germany. They're good instruments.

·
Registered
860 Posts
My Jupiter JAS-769-767 definitely beats my Yamaha YAS-25 soundwise, but not when it comes to mechanics/erconomics. They're about the same age (mid-1990ies); the Jupiter is heavier and has a nice round sound that the Yamaha can't quite match (though it has more brilliance to its tone - but it's not louder and doesn't speak better). While the Jupiter appears to be at least as sturdy, having mistreated both (playing in crowded streets and rooms), I know that the Yamaha can take more blows before needing readjustments.

I think that at least the 700 (and above) series Jupiter offers are clearly underestimated (thankfully, not by all). I'd have to check the newer horns to make sure, but I'm quite sure that especially for those people with a more classical background or musical taste, the Jupiter will make a better match than a Yamaha standard horn, certainly for a beginner. Here in Switzerland, you pay just about the same for a new YAS-275 and a JAS-769 (the Jupiter tends to be even cheaper).

When I have to use a backup horn for my Selmer SA80II, I pick the Jupiter, not the Yamaha (I wouldn't want to miss the latter for rough gigs and travelling though - never let me down yet except when I really had damaged it).

M.

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
I just bought a Jupiter JAS 769-767 at a second hand resale shop for 275 €. They had it hanging on the hooks of a pegboard and I looked it over and saw that it was in like new condition, pads all intact and except for some bit of green in the tonehole indentations it was clean as a whistle and the action was spectacular. I kenw nothing about these saxes and always thought they were just another J. Michael type off brand because I have only had vintage horns. So I went home and read up about them on this and some other threads and realized this might be a really good deal

I grabbed my tuner, strap mouthpiece and a couple of different reeds and went back and tried it. It plays like a dream, easy blowing up and down with not just great tone but great intonation too. Mechancically it could have come out of the factory fully adjusted yesterday, that's how well it plays. Precise and easy fingering and not the hint of a leak within earshot. The only modern alto I have played up to now was the Yani 967 Chinese clone sold by kessler Music O bouth 7 years ago, called the Solist, which was not even close to this Jupiter in quality or playing abiliity and the great tone and intonation it has. I finally had been able to dump it for 150€, a loss of $300 + and figured that I might as well use that remaining money to get a modern alto that isreally good. So I didn't hesitate and bought it right away. And as luck would have it, when they brought me the case out of the back it contained a Selmer Paris S-80 C* that I certainly would never play but can definitely sell, especially since once I cleaned it up it turned out to be in like new condition except for some of the gold in the engraved name being gone. Table, rails, tip and bite plate all perfectly like new. Whoah, these go for 115€ new here so if I can sell it for nearly 100€ it means that the sax cost me around 175€ or approx $225. To me that seems to be a good deal for a quality intermediate horn built like a tank with high F# key, adjustable Yamaha style thumb hook and a really great LH pinky table, plus great tonal characteristics, ease of play and precise intonation. I'm quite happy with this for sure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts