Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts on this being a Conn stencil ?? J R La Fleur was UK importer of Conn's.Has the Rolled tone holes ,would it be feasible that Conn made stencil to La Fleur's spec's ?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,866 Posts
Better pictures, including a few of the whole horn would help. From these pictures I'm not so sure it's a Conn stencil at all.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,960 Posts
It's German.....look at the bell brace, and the "rooster wattle" neckbrace...completely un-american.

....could be Weltklang-ish or maybe some derivative of a JK/Amati/VKS sorta horn.....

But I agree...a few nice pics of the sax in it's entirety would be more helpful.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,811 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,808 Posts
I agree it's a European horn; Buddy of mine used to have one with features very like those in your pics - consensus then was that it probably German but we never settled it for sure. Don't remember if we considered Amati or not.

·
38,811 Posts
yes, another oddity..........well, always good to know

·
38,811 Posts
even if your horn is a UK made Boosey and Hawkes (or perhaps Boosey OR Hawkes !) http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?43124-Boosey-amp-Hawkes-saxophones

its value is only going to be what a buyer will be prepared to pay at the moment that you sell it. I honestly doubt that there is a special market for this relatively obscure brand and I wouldn’t set my expectations very high If I were you.

Nice though it is it is not a horn belonging to the collectables category simply because it is an oddity and it is an obscure stencil. In any case good luck with the sale.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,960 Posts
It's a cool one...a real puzzler for sure. I am guessing if you have her in good playing shape you might be able to squeeze 4 or 5 bill$ out of the sale, on a good week.

Also guessing that whoever buys it is gonna get a hella lotta horn for the money....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts