Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi everyone, just wanted to chime in on this thread. I also sent Lance my horn, a Magna alto, for a LH mod and an overhaul. He's just finishing up the mod, so I should have it back soon. So far the pictures look incredible...

·
Registered
198 Posts
Eric - My lil' 'student-model' Indiana alto has been patiently waiting behind your Magna in the MartinMod cue. I'm getting the full-key LH pinky mod and a thumb hook. It's going to be like a souped up Dodge Dart. I'm glad yours is almost out the door. I'm ready... Vroom!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
The late King Zephyrs are a bear on the left hand pinky as well. My 1926 King Bari has no way of going from low Bb to low C# either :( . Other than that, it's a very comfortabel and ergonomic table.

·
Banned
28,507 Posts
The late King Zephyrs are a bear on the left hand pinky as well. My 1926 King Bari has no way of going from low Bb to low C# either :( . Other than that, it's a very comfortabel and ergonomic table.
I was trying a Zephyr Tenor at my tech's shop a while back and noticed that. Way worse than my New Wonder. All I can figure is that Bb minor didn't exist back then :TGNCHK:;).

·
6,831 Posts
There's a piece in Jazz Band we're doing right now that has me going from low Bb to low C# on Bari. Near impossible (not as bad as the Zephyr was, but still difficult). I get that cluster modded someday.

Say, MartinMods, I know you were working a Bari just like mine ('26 King New Series-aka Improved). How'd that turn out? All I'm interested in is the MartinMod pinky cluster. My tech can install it.

·
Banned
28,507 Posts
Hey fellow Martinmodders, I just wanted to post some pics of my finished horn. Pretty beautiful work, if you ask me.

I'll be posting a review of how it plays soon.
Man, Lance does great work. That looks really beautiful, congratulations! and I'm sure it plays a million times easier than the original table. I'm very happy for you.
:)

·
Banned
2,793 Posts
Say, MartinMods, I know you were working a Bari just like mine ('26 King New Series-aka Improved). How'd that turn out? All I'm interested in is the MartinMod pinky cluster. My tech can install it.
The King I'm working on is a Voll-True I with the fixed neck, keyed to high Eb, and the neck bow bends to the Right instead of the Left. Is your's the same?

·
6,831 Posts
The King I'm working on is a Voll-True I with the fixed neck, keyed to high Eb, and the neck bow bends to the Right instead of the Left. Is your's the same?
Identical, except it's keyed to high F (from the factory!). I have pictures below. I already have some mods done to it.

·
Banned
2,793 Posts
Can you make a better left hand table for a conn 10m tenor?
No problem. Conn, older King, Martin, Buescher, soprano, alto, tenor, bari, bass, the principle is the same. The hing rods all go up the left side of the horn (from the player's view). Extend the arms and adjust the new spatulas' angle to feel good. You'll notice that the horn feels a little bigger and more stable in your hands, more balanced between the R and L pinkies, and that sense of solidity in the L pinky, really frees one to play with more authority or reckless abandon, if you will, and that's just from the feel of it in your hands. Then, once you become comfortable with the technique of playing the LH mod (there is a technique for really getting around on any LH key mechanism) the low end of your horn suddenly becomes a cool place to hang out. It's amazing what having control of the few extra notes can do for your playing and your sense of being a saxophonist. Email me at [email protected] for more info.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Re: My '56 Indiana has been MartinModded too!

I got my Indiana alto back from Lance at Martin Mods. It took longer than he and I wanted but the LH mod is really slick. My local tech was really impressed with the design and craftsmanship. I used to avoid some pieces of music or would cringe when I saw those Low B/Bb notes approaching like land mines in a video game.

With my OK, Lance also modified the neck tenon to make it more free flowing. It looks great. All I need now is that custom thumb hook and this 'student-model' alto will be going head to head with many a 'pro' horn.

I would send another horn to Martin Mods for the LH mod (maybe update a Cmel?), especially as Lance gets more familiar with his work flow. I know he got hit by a lot of orders all at once this winter.

They don't quite play themsleves, but now with the LH mod, I can tackle those low notes with more confidence and really take advantage of that martin low-end.

Thanks!

MM

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.