Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have this horn and I would like to get more information on it. I know that it is a 1929 Holton Rudy Wiedoeft model. My dad played it when he was a kid and now I have it. It’s recently got an overhaul and it looks beautiful. I just want more information on it. I’ll attach some pictures of it.
Musical instrument Water Reed instrument Wind instrument Woodwind instrument

Musical instrument Reed instrument Wind instrument Automotive exhaust Music

Musical instrument Reed instrument Wind instrument Clarinet family Brass instrument

Musical instrument Wind instrument Brass instrument Automotive exhaust Woodwind instrument

Musical instrument Purple Reed instrument Wind instrument Reed

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,230 Posts
There's a good amount of info here on this Forum, as it contains members who are Holton aficionados (present company included). SADLY...and to the detriment of Holton sax reputation...Saxpics, then run by Pete Hales, who I have the utmost respect for and who, along with Helen at bassicsax and Uwe who occasionally stops in here...I consider the foremost experts on vintage instruments...was the FIRST online resource which really mentioned Holtons...and got it quite wrong. Reading between the lines, this was primarily based upon experiencing examples which were far from respectable play-condition.

But sadly, sometimes the first word on something (whether internet or spoken) often has the staying power even when subsequent, more in-depth experiential descriptions/comments get posted in the decade-plus afterward.

Which is to say...be careful...quite a few websites and online sax sources DIS Holton saxes badly...again all of those comments being the bastard children of them first few negative mentions of them, when few were in circulation and probably 95% of them weren't near play-shape...almost 20 years ago now.

·
19,230 Posts
Which is to say, right HERE resides the best info. And the likes of @PigSquealer, @soybean, and some others will hopefully chime in with more accurate impressions. (My apologies, in advance, to my other Holton brethren for leaving your particular name out here...I am still on my first morning cup of coffee, here :cautious:)

What can I say ? This was the line marketed by Holton which was endorsed by the Great Rudy...in his day a sax player who carried quite a bit of weight. It had certain features in its keywork design which the master himself had desired/recommended.

For years, again the Holton detractors never seeming to grow tired of their hobby, would claim "Rudy NEVER played a Holton Rudy". This, over the years, has also been proven false.

To some, historically, these are the most sought-after Holtons, because of that association with the master. One in professionally overhauled shape, with a lot of finish intact including the gold wash bell ? There are buyers out there that will drop $2000 on a Tenor and $1000 on a 'prime condition" Alto....but the ads won't vanish in a day, or a week. One would need to be patient.

To me, interesting horns, but as a player, I find...like the Chu Berrys of Conn....their mother factory eclipsed these in subsequent models over the decades (the Revelations, the 24X series for example).

But Weidofts ( d'oh ! ...😖...Wiedofts)...still carry more of a mystique to them than the latter pro models....

·
19,230 Posts
The interesting thing about your Rudy, BTW...is...it seems to have a metal G# touch...while most had a round pearl G# (a'la earlier Buescher TT's). Like this one:

This aspect, the conventional metal touch, is, to ME, a big PLUS.

·
19,230 Posts
@Zexzon ...may I make a recommendation ? You clearly cared enough about the horn to have had it overhauled.

IF there is no NEED for you to liquidate it into cash....keep it in the family. Its provenance is very meaningful, its condition looks superb, and passing it on to a future generation of sax player in the family would be, IMHO, a far more meaningful and resonant gesture than selling it when one doesn't have to sell it....

...not meaning to be presumptuous, just my 2 cents....

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
2,747 Posts
Beautiful horn. I agree with George (@JayeLID) keep it. What you would get from selling it might buy a big night out for the family. The connection to your dad and the connection to the great saxophone craze of the 1920s is priceless.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Zexzon ...may I make a recommendation ? You clearly cared enough about the horn to have had it overhauled.

IF there is no NEED for you to liquidate it into cash....keep it in the family. Its provenance is very meaningful, its condition looks superb, and passing it on to a future generation of sax player in the family would be, IMHO, a far more meaningful and resonant gesture than selling it when one doesn't have to sell it....

...not meaning to be presumptuous, just my 2 cents....
I have no intention of selling it I also have a Conn chu berry thats been in my family for 5 generations ill attach a photo of it
Musical instrument Purple Reed instrument Wind instrument Woodwind instrument

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
To the OP - those that know Holton's consider them to be as good as most other American horns. Hoton's have by all accounts quite a lush tone. I would think your tenor will play as well as it looks. I'm with JayeLID - keep it, you'll probably never see another. I'd love one myself!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
alto: 82Zii/Medusa, tenor: Medusa, bari: B-901, sop: sc-990
7,690 Posts
Most of the Rudy models are altos or Sopranos. It’s pretty unusual to see a tenor.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,026 Posts
it is a tenor
Very nice looking Rudy tenor. What a fun cool family heirloom. Did your dad play in a big band? Any action pictures of him playing it. Would love the see those.
I’m curious what the actual measurement is as it sits in the case, 25”?
Is it possible to get some pictures of the other side ? Bell keys, engraving and pinky table please.
Is the letter “R” stamped in the vicinity of the serial number?
Your picture of the neck is not real clear. Do you have the tuning pipe or is the cork directly on the neck ? The original mouthpiece would have a metal insert and the color would be brown.
Red, dark green, mahogany, or maroon would be the other colors for alto,C Mel ect.

@JayeLID this may be the first Rudy I’ve seen without the pearl pinky G. I’ve seen funkier things happen on 29’s. Money was tight. OP says it’s a ‘29. Hope he’s looked on the correct SN list.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Gorgeous horn! This is something I would consider adding to my collection, along with a pre WWII 10M and a King Silversonic. Like @JayeLID said, don't sell it unless you need money for a few cans of catfood.
I only have 2 Holtons, a c-mel and a straight soprano and both instruments, after un-repairing them are top notch. I am not sure whether the Holton would fit most of what I am doing in public, that is R&B and Hardrock but one of the interesting things about the Holtons is that you can play them very mellow but as soon as you push them, it's like initiating the afterburner. But, you don't really feel it, whereas the recordings will show you that you awakened the lion.
Extremely versatile, superior build quality and engineering. My standing Holton joke is that they had many of the features that others, including Selmer, invented 30 years later.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Very nice looking Rudy tenor. What a fun cool family heirloom. Did your dad play in a big band? Any action pictures of him playing it. Would love the see those.
I’m curious what the actual measurement is as it sits in the case, 25”?
Is it possible to get some pictures of the other side ? Bell keys, engraving and pinky table please.
Is the letter “R” stamped in the vicinity of the serial number?
Your picture of the neck is not real clear. Do you have the tuning pipe or is the cork directly on the neck ? The original mouthpiece would have a metal insert and the color would be brown.
Red, dark green, mahogany, or maroon would be the other colors for alto,C Mel ect.

@JayeLID this may be the first Rudy I’ve seen without the pearl pinky G. I’ve seen funkier things happen on 29’s. Money was tight. OP says it’s a ‘29. Hope he’s looked on the correct SN list.
I don’t have any pictures of my dad playing it because he never played professionally. He got it out of a house fire. We don’t have the original mouthpiece for it. Here are some more pictures of the neck and some other stuff.
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Vehicle Musical instrument

Automotive lighting Musical instrument Gas Metal Headlamp

Bicycle part Automotive tire Bumper Font Auto part

Tableware Drinkware Liquid Dishware Product

Musical instrument Wind instrument Automotive exhaust Metal Pipe

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,026 Posts
Thanks for posting the additional pictures.
A fire survivor 😬. That pinky G is likely a custom job. I see you have the original tuning slide. Nice part to have. Just don’t leave a mouthpiece on it for a long period of time. They have a tendency to get stuck. You’re not missing out on the mouthpiece. Although it’s nice to have one as part of the original package. Your tech did a nice job 👍
I‘m still curious about the length. Also the bell size. I don’t have those measurements off a Rudy tenor.
33896-36654 is the serial number range for 1929.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for posting the additional pictures.
A fire survivor 😬. That pinky G is likely a custom job. I see you have the original tuning slide. Nice part to have. Just don’t leave a mouthpiece on it for a long period of time. They have a tendency to get stuck. You’re not missing out on the mouthpiece. Although it’s nice to have one as part of the original package. Your tech did a nice job 👍
I‘m still curious about the length. Also the bell size. I don’t have those measurements off a Rudy tenor.
33896-36654 is the serial number range for 1929.
Yes the bell size is 6” and the saxophone with the cap on it is 30 1/2” without cap is 29 1/2” also the serial number is 35xxx LP
Fluid Wind instrument Musical instrument Barware Gas

·
19,230 Posts
I agree with @PigSquealer ...the G# touch was after-factory.
If Holton were to put a factory metal G# touch on their horns from that period, it would NOT have been a nailfile version.
So, it was requested by the owner.
Again, to me, a significant upgrade, well-done... which would negate any argument that its unoriginality impacts its market value.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts