Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone - back with another video of my high school student! This time he is tearing apart "Impressions" by John Coltrane. We go pretty far out on this one - let me know what you think!!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Great playing as before. I really liked the voice I hear coming out 1:55 - 2:10. The kid isn't afraid to reach. We need more like him.

·
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great playing as before. I really liked the voice I hear coming out 1:55 - 2:10. The kid isn't afraid to reach. We need more like him.
Thanks so much! He hates the contrived sound of a lot of younger musicians, and sometimes he just loves to let go and just scream. I love it!!

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,149 Posts
Great ideas, solid techinique, and the confidence to go for it...impressive and rare at any age, but both humbling and inspiring to hear stuff from young cats like this! I think the most creative players struggle the most in finding a teacher and mentor who knows how to get them what they need and keep it interesting. Nice work, Dave! I bet you get about as much out of your lessons with him as he does 😎

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,505 Posts
We all get one amazing student if we are lucky. I had a kid who got a full ride to manhattan school of music. Your guy sounds amazing and he is very very creative which is exactly what he'll need to stick out if he decides to dive into the jazz scene. Send him to New York,, Dave. He sounds great. I'm sure you are proud K

·
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great ideas, solid techinique, and the confidence to go for it...impressive and rare at any age, but both humbling and inspiring to hear stuff from young cats like this! I think the most creative players struggle the most in finding a teacher and mentor who knows how to get them what they need and keep it interesting. Nice work, Dave! I bet you get about as much out of your lessons with him as he does 😎
Thanks so much! I've had a blast teaching him since 5th grade!

We all get one amazing student if we are lucky. I had a kid who got a full ride to manhattan school of music. Your guy sounds amazing and he is very very creative which is exactly what he'll need to stick out if he decides to dive into the jazz scene. Send him to New York,, Dave. He sounds great. I'm sure you are proud K
Thank you! I'm lucky to teach a lot of great kids and right now he's on top.

No offense I 'like his tone best??? K
That's totally fine! Suuuuuuper dark sound.

I'll have to search out his mouthpiece and set up!!!! K :)))))
Just a Mark VI and a Ted Klum Acoustimax for him

·
5,505 Posts
Im done with horns and pieces for awhile so I'll just have to settle for my tone and more practicing. He is such a great playing in many ways. (and you)

·
Registered
250 Posts
Great technician, so beware, at this rate the time may come when master and pupil change places! Do you have any vids of him playing slow, lyrical numbers? That would be interesting.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
He has a good teacher- not enough of those in the world for sure :)

·
5,505 Posts
I put a question onto your questions vid on you tube. Love your chats , you really send out some great info. I have an 82Z and I'm so happy I got it K

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
Super Action 80 Tenor, Yamaha Vito YAS-21 prototype, Kessler Soprano, Superba II Bari, Fender J-Bass
4,908 Posts
I caught your "blues fast" video with him earlier. Nice work Dave! I genuinely enjoy your channel, and you seem to be as good of a teacher as you are a player. And you're one hell of a good player!

·
4,430 Posts
Wow! Not only are you having fun but both of you play so well. No shortage of talent in that video.Hats off to both of you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts