Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I just purchased a Yamaha Yas-275 and discovered that my high E plays a high F instead. It only plays a E if I don't use the C3 key. Is it because I have the F# key or because I'm not tuned?

Thanks.

*Edit: If it has anything to do with the problem, a Selmer S80 C* mouthpiece came with the horn and it is very hard to put on the cork compared to my Yamaha 4C. I have no idea where the best position to put the mouthpiece is and I don't know how to tune a saxophone.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If it has anything to do with the problem, a Selmer S80 C* mouthpiece came with the horn and it is very hard to put on the cork compared to my Yamaha 4C. I have no idea where the best position to put the mouthpiece is and I don't know how to tune a saxophone.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,360 Posts
Kev: Welcome to SOTW.

First of all, thick neck corks (or better said, a cork too thick for your mouthpiece) WILL prevent a player from tuning correctly. You can sand down the cork a small amount, and/or use some cork-grease to aid your placement of the mouthpiece on the cork.

You should either have a known source handy (like a tuned piano) or an electronic tuner. Once you can play your saxophone's notes against a known source, you can either shove the mouthpiece further on the cork to sharpen the notes and match pitches, or pull the mouthpiece out to flatten the notes, if your saxophone is sharp when compared to the known source.

There are many opinions on what notes to use. I use concert Bb, but that's just me. Play your saxophone's G1 and G2 against a piano's comparable concert Bb.

The palm keys are supposed to played without closing C3. Leave the stack keys open as you open the palm keys. That should aid your upper-range intonation. If your mouthpiece is tuned correctly, then your palm-key notes should be accurate. DAVE

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot for your help.

About the F and E problem, I feel a little stupid but mostly relieved. The sources of the problem were memory and reading.:D Anyway, I'm really happy it's not a construction error.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts