Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm very excited to announce my group's very first gig at the Elephant Room in downtown Austin! It will be at 9:30pm on Sunday, August 28, and it will feature music by Herbie Hancock, Roy Hargrove, me, and some other guys in the band. It's going to be of the funk/soul/jazz variety, and the band is sounding really good, so I hope to see some of my SOTW/ATX buds out!

The Elephant Room is one of the really great jazz-only clubs in North America, and if you've never been there, it's a really cool place. It's underground on Congress Ave, between 3rd and 4th, and Jeff the bartender is absolutely the greatest. If you want to learn more about the venue, here's its website.

And if you want a sample of what you might hear there on the last Sunday of this month, here's my website!

·
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The Elephant Room is one of the really great jazz-only clubs in North America, and if you've never been there, it's a really cool place.
To clarify: it's not just a cool place if you've never been there; it's a cool place either way. Safe.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I'll try to make it. It's a very intimate venue too, and you wont have to worry about a lot of obnoxious loud-mouth drunks or anything.

·
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would be there if I could but Mingo leaves tomorrow morning for a little road trip. See you in September.
You and your grown-up gigs. I'll be missing your charm, and your profound understanding of why everything I think is funny is funny.

·
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A little update. We've been playing together a lot lately, and the band is sounding pretty damn good. I'm very excited to see where things will go on Sunday... this group of guys is very volatile, but in the best way possible. It's gonna be a really exciting night, and you should come out if you're in the Austin area. I know it's a work/school night, but there's no cover, so even if you just come for a set and split, you won't lose much. For the majority of you who don't live anywhere near Austin, I should be getting some decent audio/video of the night, and I'll link to it on this thread once I do. Cheers.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,646 Posts
It was epic!
Glad to hear it, sad to have missed it. But congratulations!!! Really!!! :eek:ccasion:
Health problems have kept me from participating in a lot of things this last year and a half. Maybe next time.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
29,595 Posts
Knowing Texans' propensity for largeness I guess "Elephant Room" would be a small, intimate cocktail lounge in Texas? :)

·
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to everyone who came out! It seemed to be a much busier Sunday than normal for the Elephant Room, so I think it's safe to say we'll be back before too long. We'll try to take the group on the road eventually, too (at least through the southeastern States), so if you have a venue in your town that digs on Herbie/Weather Report-style funk/rock/jazz, let me know!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Very nice, indeed. The Elephant Room was smokin. Between Donohoe, Carter, and Matt, I was both inspired and frustrated. These guys are amazing players- soul, groove, hipness, ridiculous technique, and most importantly (to me) a bunch of REALLY great people. It would be wise to get out and hear them and hang.

I look forward to the next hit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts