Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had great results with the forestone hiniki reeds so i thought id try the black bamboo. ordered an alto 1.5 from quin the eskimo and it arrived and played terriable . i noticed the tip was warped so i contacted quinn and was told to send a pic of the warped reed.i did and they sent out a replacement right away. well it arrived and was warped just like the 1st one. i gave up on these and went on to legere and then bravo synth reeds with good results. i dug out my old metal lavoz reed gaurds and put both the warped black bamboo reeds in them and let sit a few months. i then took them out and looked at the tips. they both were now straight as a red should be. next the momument of truth. i put them on my alto clarinet and low and behold both play fantastic now! these reeds give a more natural clarinet sound (well as natural as an alto clarinet can ) i i am going to start using them at community band and see how they hold up. if any of you buy these black bamboo model -note you may have simulair results and recieve a warped one. i am really suprised how good the sound is with these. much more like cane. time will tell though

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Black Bamboo reeds generally do play pretty well, with a darker sound than most synthetic reeds. But I'm surprised you found a 1.5 workable, since Forestone reeds tend to run soft.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my experience with synthetic reeds is the ALL run harder than sim cane reeds. i always go down a size or at least a half size when buying them. alto clarinet seems to work better for me with soft reeds also. havnt tried these on alto sax since i straightned the tips out

·
Registered
841 Posts
my experience with synthetic reeds is the ALL run harder than sim cane reeds. i always go down a size or at least a half size when buying them. alto clarinet seems to work better for me with soft reeds also. havnt tried these on alto sax since i straightned the tips out
This hasn't been my experience with all synthetic reeds. I find Fibracell to be a bit softer and Forestone to be a lot softer.
Black Bamboo reeds generally do play pretty well, with a darker sound than most synthetic reeds. But I'm surprised you found a 1.5 workable, since Forestone reeds tend to run soft.
This has been my experience. Forestone reeds for me have run about half a size to a size softer depending on the model of reed.

Reactions: LostConn
1 - 4 of 4 Posts