Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Must be nice not to have to worry about finding a good pianist to play with! Excellent work.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tasty stuff man.....I can dig it! I really like your tone...can you tell me a little more about your setup??
Thanks :) I use an 'early babbitt' Otto Link STM mouthpiece (9) on a Conn 'transitional' (pre 10M) horn here. Hope that helps.
Cheers

·
Forum Contributor 2013-2017
688 Posts
One of my favorite ballads, thanks for a great rendition, I really enjoyed it.

Kenneth

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks :) I use an 'early babbitt' Otto Link STM mouthpiece (9) on a Conn 'transitional' (pre 10M) horn here. Hope that helps.
Cheers
Thanks a bunch! i does indeed help! I'm a lifelong alto player and I just bought an 80's Selmer-Bundy II on the super cheap ($150). I'm getting used to the different embouchure and starting to sound like "me" but I think I will be searching for mouthpieces before too long. What brand and strength reed do you use?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Really beautiful, thanks Tim. I wish I could get my early Babbit STM to sound like that!
Ah thanks! In all seriousness, it needs a bit of work to keep it playing as well as it should do... I get quite a lot of gunk build up on the table, and if it's not cleaned (if it gets really bad, then it needs filing off) then it's hard to get the piece sounding evenly. But yeah, when it's right, it's a gorgeous mouthpiece on any horn I've ever played.

·
Premium Member
15,491 Posts
I really enjoyed both the sax and piano. Great voicings on the piano. Really enjoyable to listen to.
Thanks so much for posting and I look forward to more stuff.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Hi all - first video featuring this lovely transitional Conn tenor, and some piano too. 'My Foolish Heart', hope it's enjoyed :)
I've never heard you play anything that isn't highly enjoyed, Tim......and I've listened to everything of yours, I've come across. Thanks for another sweet listening experience.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice Tim! How would you characterize the sound of the transitional in relation to your 10m?
Ooh great question. The first thing to say is that it often takes me a while to decide which one to take to a gig... they're both such great horns. It's the first time, I think, where my 'main' and 'backup' horn are actually equals.
But to press into the differences in sound a bit more, although both are top sounding instruments, the transitional probably has a bit more complexity and width to its tone ('smokey', you might say). While the 10M has all that, the transitional has it even more. My 10M, though, has more bite and punch, I think.
At the moment, I'd probably use the transitional to record, and the 10M live, but that could change tomorrow!
I may do a comparison video, but to be honest it's likely to show up very little!
Cheers :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts