Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted elsewhere a few times that I would post some of my playing. I just bought a new mic and this was my first recording with it in GarageBand. This was a first take at about 8am with no editing or anything. I had some pitch problems and a warbling low 'D' (which there are a few of). This is on my S992 and my new JJ DV 7*.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=692000

·
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe I shouldn't have pointed it out. Just tried to negate any possible negative criticisms. ;) Gotta get my tech to put a leak light in there again.

The vibrato WAS very hard on soprano until I got the DV. I'm still not 100% sure if it's too bright or not but I think I can get good enough to tone in down with practice.

Oh, and thanks for the compliment on my tone. That is the #1 compliment an aspiring sax player can get imo.

·
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd love more input. ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have to say that i did love the vibrato and the tone was very nice. I had a hard time trying to find where the peak of the song was, it would be nice to hear that and get the listener worked up to that point. Overall, I really did like it especially those "wahs" going up. I would like to hear more from you.

·
Registered
783 Posts
A very nice tone there... I'm waiting for the JJ DV on the soprano to become available, I love the DV 6 on alto. I don't know if I should get a #7 or #6 on soprano thought.

Kenny.

·
Banned
182 Posts
Maybe a little more interpretation of the melody.. It seems as though you are reading the notes off the page in spots IMO.. Take more liberties with melody and don't be afraid to take a chance..

·
Registered
280 Posts
While listening to both recordings on your page I ended up closing my eyes and basked in the familiar sound so soothing. It's not perfect, but it was still beautiful to my ears. I could sleep very well if only I had some sax tunes on my comp to play over and over and over... A never ending melody...

·
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input everyone. I really should remove that alto recording as I was really unhappy with it. The soprano track was a first take, really just to hear what I sounded like. I'm going to work more on it and take more liberties with the melody. I need to record some improv too. :)

I was informed by a fellow SotW member that I was "scooping" too much. I'll be addressing that as well. I wish SotW existed back in my high school days. ;)

·
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The background music is from the Jazz Ballads play along book. Can't think of the author for some reason.

The FX is just some reverb. I created a "live instrument" track and selected the "solo sax" preset. I'm still not quite sure why I can't hear myself in my headphones though.

EDIT: The book is Hal Leonard.

·
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
edhara said:
In the effects section, you might need to turn the monitor to 'on'. :)
I've tried that and it makes no difference.

·
Registered
300 Posts
patseguin said:
I've tried that and it makes no difference.
Oh, one thing that I've noticed is that sometimes I have to highlight another track, then go back to the original track for that to work.

·
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
edhara said:
Oh, one thing that I've noticed is that sometimes I have to highlight another track, then go back to the original track for that to work.
Hmm, I'll try that. I've been thinking of trying some other Mac software as well. Logic may be a little overkill though. Suggestions?

·
Registered
783 Posts
There are couple softwares on Mac, the best being Logic Pro, or you can use Logic Express, it's really good...

Kenny.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts