Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
2,666 Posts
Lucas, Congratulations on your first quartet! The video is fantastic. I like your writing for saxophone quartet. For me, the last movement (going west) spoke to me the most. There's one thing that I'm not sure about in this piece. It seemed that you were trying to express earlier periods in history -- like with Ellis Island and NYC (perhaps in the 20's). However, it does not seem to me that the writing drew upon authentic music styles from those periods. For example, Ellis Island did not sound Irish to me....if that was your intent. (I'm a fan of Irish & Scottish fiddle music) Aside from that, there are many interesting things happening in your writing. I like what you do with the inner and lower lines. There's one movement where the soprano, alto, and tenor each had the lead. I was waiting for the bari to have a lead too but that didn't happen. For your next quartet, please if you can give the bari a lead over the other saxes (with the soprano in its low range) for a passage....or harmonize the other saxes above the bari like Duke sometimes did with Harry Carney. Giving the bari a lead should have a pretty cool sound, I'd think. These are some of the main things that came to mind as I listened to the video.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Nicely done, Lucas.
The writing is tuneful and uncluttered, something that is not always easy to achieve.
I think a lot of people would enjoy performing this. Do you plan to make this available for purchase?

Best wishes,
Rick

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much listening and for your advice.
@Rodger Aldridge: Yes, the Ellis Island Part on the boat, should sound irish :D and thanks for your advice with the baritone sax.
@Rick: Yes, I'm planing to make it available for purchase. I hope I can find somebody who will print it.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Lucas -

Two options for self-publishers:

MyScore through JWPepper. They will print and fulfill your orders, though I don't know what their international distribution is.
http://www.jwpepper.com/myscore/

Digital Print Publishing through Sheet Music Plus. They only do digital delivery, but it's a good platform nonetheless.
https://digitalprintpublishing.sheetmusicplus.com

I use both of these services.

Best of luck!
~ Rick

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
2,666 Posts
There are more options for digital distribution of sheet music (such as scores & parts). Many of the digital distribution sites I explored took a large percentage of the item price or charged monthly (or yearly) fees. Based on what I was looking for, I decided to use Sellfy for digital sheet music distribution. They take a 5% cut of the item price, but there are no other fees. Sellfy's payment process is through Paypal and the buyer is automatically sent a download link for the music file upon payment. For MP3 digital downloads I use Bandcamp. See how I incorporated links to my individual pieces at Sellfy and Bandcamp on the Store page of my website. http://www.rogeraldridge.com/store.html

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,310 Posts
Nice writing and nice playing too! i thoroughly enjoyed it. i agree with 814jazzer in that the writing was clean and uncluttered and yet says a lot. You have added a nice piece to the repertory.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts