Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been playing for about 8 months now and im wanting to buy my first pro model...however i live in the back of beyond so trying these out would be really difficult...my question is can i pretty much expect to be getting an A1 Tenor whichever i decide upon?...also in your opinions which would be a good mouthpiece to compliment either one?...i know this is a subjective thing, just wanted to read some opinions..thx

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
If you are that far away from a store or a tech I would suggest a Japanese pro horn... and a Vandoren V16 HR mpc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not really interested in a Japanese make (Yani or Yamy)...they are fantastic machines in their own right but im wanting something a bit more different in sound & looks...ive been researching a lot in the past month or 2 and the Keilwerths & Rampones just appeal to me more (from what ive read)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry forgot to mention price range..im wanting to spend about £3.5 - 4k on both the Sax & mpc.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,919 Posts
not really interested in a Japanese make (Yani or Yamy)...they are fantastic machines in their own right but im wanting something a bit more different in sound & looks...ive been researching a lot in the past month or 2 and the Keilwerths & Rampones just appeal to me more (from what ive read)
Really you need to try a saxophone, you can't go by research, unless that is playing research. If it was me and that was my area of budget I'd go for the R & C or maybe a Bauhaus Walstein M2. I currently use an R & C Two Voices as my main tenor, it's very different from any other horn I've tested.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thx Pete & hgiles for your input...Pete, do you find the R&C quite free blowing?...i have tried a friends Selmer S3 (which i didnt really like) & his Mauriat 66RUL (which i did like)

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,919 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,938 Posts
In Europe, you might be able to find Borgani Jubilee as well - they are in short supply in the U.S.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In Europe, you might be able to find Borgani Jubilee as well - they are in short supply in the U.S.
please dont start throwing others into the melting pot, its taken me a cpl of months to get it down to 2 :)

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Pardon my geographic ignorance, but is "ol' Blighty" in England or Australia?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,938 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just to throw something in here... since you said you are in northern England, that means you couldn't be much more than 2 hours, maybe 2.5hrs from Leeds. There are some decent stores around here you could go to try out a new horn. In Bradford there is woodwind exchange and there is a little shop in Leeds called All Brass and Woodwind. The one in Bradford has a better range and you will get to try the horns first. The one in Leeds has a small selection, but most are vintage. I would suggest that if you are going to sink up to £4k into a new horn then a trip of just over 2 hrs is well worth it. You could easily head down early on a Saturday and spend the day having fun :)

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
831 Posts
I have a Keilwerth SX90R and like it. It's subjective, though.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
The reason I suggest Japanese horns because you say you are buying sight unseen. Keilwerth and many European horns have very inconsistent and sometimes poor finish quality. Japanese horns have some of the best.

You can almost bank on a European horn needing a fair amount of additional set up (expense) before you will even know if you've got a good horn or not.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
2,547 Posts
Just to throw something in here... since you said you are in northern England, that means you couldn't be much more than 2 hours, maybe 2.5hrs from Leeds. There are some decent stores around here you could go to try out a new horn. In Bradford there is woodwind exchange and there is a little shop in Leeds called All Brass and Woodwind. The one in Bradford has a better range and you will get to try the horns first. The one in Leeds has a small selection, but most are vintage. I would suggest that if you are going to sink up to £4k into a new horn then a trip of just over 2 hrs is well worth it. You could easily head down early on a Saturday and spend the day having fun :)
This is great advice.
Seriously, if you're spending that much dosh you owe it to yourself to get out there and try as many horns as you can get your hands on - and bear in mind that there's some variation between apparently identical models...so if you buy mail-order you might not get a 'singer'.
I've played Pete's R&C - it's great horn, I like it - but...I don't love it. I'd be more than happy to recommend it as a top-pro horn though, and encourage people to try one - but when it comes to handing over that much hard cash I'd want to buy something I'd played and fallen in love with.

Regards,

·
Registered
1 Posts
The choice you make will very much be dictated by the sound you hope to achieve and the style you wish to play.
If you have the budget to buy a Keilwerth, have a look at the Mauriats. You wont be disappointed. I have the PMXT-66R (unlaquered) and it has a sound very like the early Selmers

I pair mine with a Yanagasawa 6 metal piece. Its about as raw and edgy as you can get and perfectly suits blues, rock and my preference - ska!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,853 Posts
You should take into account that in the U.S., Keilwerth is much more popular than any R&C. Seeing that there might be more U.S. members here, you should get a pretty biased answer to your R&C or Keilwerth question. It's a shame you are limiting yourself to just two horn choices.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I have never played a R&C tenor but do own a R&C sopranino,R1 alto and low Bb R1 jazz baritone! All are great saxes but w/ the exception of the sopranino needed alot of TLC from a tech to bring them up to snuff! I have read on this forum that the tenors intonation in the upper register is opposite of most saxes;I believe they ere on the flat side instead of sharp loike most saxes!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts