Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm anxiously waiting for my new Keilwerth SX-90 tenor in black nickel from Kessler to arrive today. I really should of jumped on Mark's clear nickel SX at USA. I would of liked the clear nickel finish as it is rare. Dave Kessler assured me the black will really shine. I thought of getting a nickel silver SX-90R. Dave informed me that if I was looking for a dark sound(Dave calls it a vintage sound)get the Black nickel SX. If I wanted a bright(Dave calls it modern)sound get the SX-90R made of nickel silver.I want a vintage sound. I love Getz and Allen Eager's sound.Dave Kessler was awesome to deal with. He even let's you try for 3 days(which w/ the 3rd day being sun and the 4th memorial day)don't know how that will work. I am sure I will like it as I love my daughter's lacquered SX tenor and loved a SX-90 alto I tried. My USA Omega tenor plays great after the sterling silver neck and overhaul(now it plays in tune better-it was always sharp on the low end) but I never forgot how much I loved a Couf superba I I tried in '83. It was trhat good I remember it almost 25 years later. All of our saxes have been in plain jane gold or clear lacquer. This nickel is a first for me.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I had thought of waiting and getting a CX-90 copper tenor but not avaible yet and pricey. It would make for a dark sounding tenor though. Hope my nickel holds up better than EZ's straight alto's nickel did. But I only play 30 min a day and split my time between soprano-baritone saxes.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got it!!!!!Octave vent on neck would not close all the way;repair tech at Kessler talked me through it!!!!I bent carefully as per tech instructions. Plays great. Only dissapiontments were if you look down the bell(side w/ no keys)you can see "waves" in one part of the bell(my daughter's lacquered SX has this too) and a small scratch the bell near the connection to the bow(also on side keys are not on).Small scatch near left thumb rest also. Keilwerth does play a bit better than my omega tenor and is darker. I will play test alot to decide if it is a keeper.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chuck Kessler explained the waves;seems when you draw the tone holes it sometimes creates a little distortion on other side of bell or body tube. Also said w/ a hand made product bound to be minor impertections(ie small scatch here and there).

·
Registered
155 Posts
well I would say if there is a, distortion in the bell then it cant be classed as perfect as new should be.If it left Kessler like that how come there Tech didnt point it out,and then told to you before you bought it.
I have a Topsax made in china,plays like hell up and down and it very strong build.A very good saxplayer here try it,and his words to me were, ****! man this is one hell of a horn.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
scottieAnthony,Yeah I'm thinking the same!!!!None of our Yanis or Selmers have "waves" in the bell. The way you can see it is if you hold the sax up at your shoulder and look down the bell and body.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
4,046 Posts
I just checked out my JK SX90 that I bought from kessler and there are extremely light waves in the bell. I looked at my Ref 54 and ref 36 and I see more or less the same thing.

How does the horn sound and play? Of course the action and the spring tension will need to be tweaked to your specs.

The think I like about the JK is that I can adjust the spring tension as light as on my VI tenor. The key work on the newer selmers just can't go that light without suffering from a sluggish action.

Of course judging by your previous post you might wan't to learn about working on saxophones and making adjustments. I have to adjust my horns all the time. I hate taking them to the tech as it cost a fortune and most of them won't do the standard of work I can do myself.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you so much Heath!!!!!!!!!!!Makes me feel better that your SX has the waves too!!!!!!!!!And yes they are light in nature!!!!!!!!!!!!Your post makes me feel better!!!!!!!!!!Horn sounds good but I do not know if it is $2800 better than my Omega tenor. I used to avoid playing my omega but the silver neck and overhaul did it good!!!!!!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
well I guess if it plays as you wanted it to,its ok But I have look at my 2 horns and they have no wave like patterns at all.It would be intresting to see how many more guys see your post and check there horns out, and post what they see on there horns.you know its so very true some time you pay more just for the name. how many time do we see in this forum about guys doing upgrades for the big name,then when they get the new horn it plays just like the old one they had.I guess the big lesson is Always play it before you buy it and take your old horn with you to test one against the other.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
scottieAnthony said:
well I guess if it plays as you wanted it to,its ok
It plays "OK"?? :? Stop worrying about the "waves" in the bell and try to get the horn speak!

·
4,046 Posts
ScottieA if you think a SX90 plays anything like a China horn you'd have to be sadly mistaken. It's probably one of the most unique horns on the market and it's clearly set apart from the other big three in tone and playablity. It's one of the few horns today that gets close to the big American vintage sound of the past.

If you pick a apart you will find flaws on any horn. Like I said I have a Ref 54, 36, VI, VII and the SX90 all tenors. Every single one of them have flaws in fit and finish. Every single one of them needed work to get them up to the level of playing perfectly.

Bells on a horn are made by hand, there's bound to be variances with such work.

What it comes down to for sycc is if he wants to make the JK his main horn. He may very well be better off with a Yanagisawa, or a Selmer if he wants to fork over that much bread. Still the JK is killer horn, it's just not for everyone and it's a big transition to a JK if you're used to the smaller more compact sound and feel from the Yamaha, Yani, or Selmer.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like the fact that the JK stays dark even when pushed w/ alot of air. The Omega tends to get bright when pushed hard. But overall the omega is on the dark side escpially w/ it's sterling silver neck. If I keep the JK,I may eventually get a JK alto too. But due to financial restraints keep the selmer soprano and baritone

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Giganova said:
It plays "OK"?? :? Stop worrying about the "waves" in the bell and try to get the horn speak!
It speaks quite nicely w/ a fat easy to play low end and a full round dark tone.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
4,370 Posts
I'm sorry, but that stuff about expecting scratches because it's handmade is BS. I've bought a lot of new saxes over the years including quite a few Keilwerths, and no scratches were included unless it was or should have been classified as "B stock". I know when you get something on closeout it's often been tried/beat up by quite a few people first, but they should just come out and tell you that's the case, rather than say it's "new" and blame it on being handmade. I'm frankly surprised that Kessler Music would do such a thing. I know some of you guys don't care about looks, but something that's supposedly new should look like it. When you shop for a new car you don't expect it to come with scratches, do you? You don't just tell the Scion salesman, "who cares how it looks, how does it drive?" But then again with Scions maybe you do....

·
Registered
762 Posts
These scratches are fairly common. Many dealers put them on horns so you don't feel so bad when you inevitably sctratch the horn yourself. It's kind of a 'first ding included in the price' thing and really does save you pain further down the line ;)

·
4,370 Posts
That's very kind of them!:D But they should advertise that scratches are included at no extra charge!;)

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Joe Jazz said:
That's very kind of them!:D But they should advertise that scratches are included at no extra charge!;)
LOL!!!!!Seriously though,My dealings w/ Chuck and Dave Kessler are very positive. I truly believe it is a brand spankin new tenor. I truly feel they are honest.Probably one the last good dealers(USA horn is another one).I feel the 2 scatches(kinda more like very small nicks in the plate)is a factory error. I posted about the imprefections to kinda gauge if other people had similar problems. My daughter's Keilwerth has the waves in the bell(body too). Knowing about Heath's SX and my SX having them makes me feel better as it is a byproduct of manufacture.

·
4,046 Posts
I held back on this topic a little to. I hope no matter what sycc ends up doing he's happy with his dealings with the Kessler crew.

Dave has helped me out several times and he and his dad did pick me out a great SX90. I usually make specific requests with them about something I'm looking for as far as response on the horn and they deliver. Chuck also delivers a leak free horn, which makes my life a lot easier. In the future I personally plan to buy all my new horns from the Kessler as they are the most personable of all the online dealers I've dealt with.

·
4,370 Posts
I think highly of Dave too, which is why I expressed surprise that he would do something I would expect from WW&BW(sell a closeout item figuring you should know it's "not really new" but is likely a B stock item that's been tried out by everyone and his mother)........

1 - 20 of 37 Posts