Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've been playing my Yamaha YTS-275 for a couple of years now on the original 4C, currently on Ricco Royal 3 1/2 reeds only because someone gifted me a box, but was previously playing 3's.

Sound wise I keep coming back to Stan getz, especially the buttery smooth sound of 'The girl From Ipanema'... that's the kind of sound I'd like to go towards.

What mouthpiece would you recommend?

Thanks.

P.S. I found the recording I had in mind on youtube....
...love that sound!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,888 Posts
first of all, mouthpieces are not things that need “ upgrading” as if there is a natural, unavoidable, progression within the mouthpieces family, from cheap to expensive, although, yes, we’ve all done this. It is a fool’s errand and an expensive one to hopscotch from one thing to another.

The mouthpiece bandwagon is an expensive way to do something that might be way easier than you think.

I am trying to save you some money and tell you something that someone should have told me some time ago, when I too did that.

It’ is not the price of material of any mouthpiece but it is what you do with them.

What makes you think that you couldn’t achieve a Stan Getz (ish) sound with your current mouthpiece? There is nothing “ wrong” with your mouthpiece which in itself would require an upgrade.

Is there anything that you are missing?

The sound of any player starts in his mind, then the mouth and throat follow the mind and produce a sound that is in the mind.

The mouthpiece is only a facilitator.

“ IT” doesn’t make the sound or all the people with the same mouthpiece would have the same sound.

So, first start “ Stangetzing” your sound on your mouthpiece than you will MAYBE, if needed, progress to another mouthpiece.

The easy answer (but untrue) would be get the same set up, the reality is that Getz also changed his set up and sounded pretty much like himself with different set ups.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Well, you could spend 350 smackers on this:

http://www.jazzbooks.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=JAJAZZ&Product_Code=LSG095

Or, you could just work on your sound with your present mouthpiece and try to emulate the Stan Getz sound by working on your sub-tone, manipulating your oral cavity, throat, tongue position, embouchure etc. etc. and trying different reed brands and reed strengths. Keep in mind that your sound has to be a concept in your head first, which you seem to have, and there's no guarantee that buying a Stan Getz mouthpiece copy will give you a Stan Getz sound though it might help get you going in that direction. You could save a lot of money by just working on your sound as described with lots of practice. Intelligent practice is your best friend in getting the sound you want. That means thinking about what you are doing when you practice. For example don't just do long tones for the sake of doing long tones, do long tones with a goal in mind like the one you have.

·
38,888 Posts
repetita iuvant :whistle:

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
first of all, mouthpieces are not things that need “ upgrading” as if there is a natural, unavoidable, progression within the mouthpieces family, from cheap to expensive, although, yes, we’ve all done this. It is a fool’s errand and an expensive one to hopscotch from one thing to another.

The mouthpiece bandwagon is an expensive way to do something that might be way easier than you think.

I am trying to save you some money and tell you something that someone should have told me some time ago, when I too did that.

It’ is not the price of material of any mouthpiece but it is what you do with them.

What makes you think that you couldn’t achieve a Stan Getz (ish) sound with your current mouthpiece? There is nothing “ wrong” with your mouthpiece which in itself would require an upgrade.

The sound of any player starts in his mind, then the mouth and throat follow the mind and produce a sound that is in the mind.

“ IT” doesn’t make the sound or all the people with the same mouthpiece would have the same sound.

So, first start “ Stangetzing” your sound on your mouthpiece than you will MAYBE, if needed, progress to another mouthpiece.

The easy answer (but untrue) would be get the same set up, the reality is that Getz also changed his set up and sounded pretty much like himself with different set ups.

Wow, I couldn't have said it better myself. You guys should all get off the mouthpiece neurosis bandwagon and just hit the shed. They're a waste of time once you get a good one. Phil Barone

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Yes, you're right of course. Not an 'upgrade' in that sense but I think i meant what would be a more appropriate MP by design in facilitating that sound?

Yeah, I hear what you're saying. Your sound comes first from within.... Honestly, I don't expect to be able to but someone's 'sound' just by buying the same equipment. I find myself "stangetzing" (I like that term!) every time i pick up the horn these days because that's the sound I'm drawn to and what I'm aiming for. I guess this whole question has come about really because I now have a very clear mental picture of the sound I'm ultimately striving for (not That I expect to ever come close to Mr. Getz in this lifetime).

...and thanks for that link. I wish some of these youtubers would occasionally do videos using student level equipment.

·
38,888 Posts
Perhaps it has escaped your attention that this “ youtuber” is Don Menza, one of the most important players around. He is endorsing Cannonball in that series of videos since he is one of the greatest still around.

He is not only about tone, speed, phrasing, power, timing, you name it.

try even just thinking the kind of way this super player is playing, this is, my friend, the “ youtuber” who was talking about tone ( he knows a thing or two about it and few more things).

I can assure you he would sound pretty much the same as himself on your 275.

·
38,888 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Checking different mouthpieces is part of finding your sound and we all did it.
When you start and you only get a generic sound trying new designs helps to find out what you want and what you dont want. It plays its part to develop your own sound. But sure, not the most important part.
We used to change mouthpieces with friends all the time. Before ebay before the current era of expensive boutique mouthpieces. At that time an old otto link was just an other one to try.

http://davidliebman.com/home/ed_articles/the-search-for-nirvana-the-perfect-mouthpiece/

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...uthpiece.pdf&usg=AOvVaw09PjYqdH6tMH4PdVqlAF_a

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,452 Posts
Just a note (pun intended) but that beautiful recording was live on TV. What a great sound compared to the trash that passes for music today. Astrud Gilberto and Stan Getz went together so beautifully with that samba rhythm, it just makes me yearn for the '60s again. I don't know if any of you have ever tried to play live on radio or TV but it ain't easy.

To the question, the mouthpiece you're used to isn't that far off in basic design from what Getz used. You might try a #4 reed on it but as others have already said, the most important thing is 'channeling' Getz. Listen to a lot of it - clear your mind of anxiety about being able to do it and just work on playing the way he played - don't worry about the notes, just go for that pure, clear sound. Learn the sub-tone (foo-foo) and don't worry about a little 'spit' getting into it - its all part of it. Here's another live recording that I think is the best 'pure Getz' I ever heard, and I've heard it all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_1En2BKqPc

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Checking different mouthpieces is part of finding your sound and we all did it.
yep. who here has only played the one mouthpiece on your horn your whole career? but it's great advice to someone still in the learning phase to work on experimenting and perfecting their embouchure on a good, solid piece, which the 4C is, BEFORE the inevitable hunt. only then does it make any sense to try different stuff out at a music store (which you will spend money at somehow sometime, 'cause it's important to keep the bricks and mortar in business), swap (which this board is very good at) and maybe contact one or two of the very fine artisans on this site who perfect the standard models, and create their own.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks you guys, you saved me some cash.... my trusty 4C and I are going to continue spending a lot of time together for the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Thanks you guys, you saved me some cash.... my trusty 4C and I are going to continue spending a lot of time together for the foreseeable future.
Good decision!
Now, get yourself a copy of the Stan Getz Omnibook, build yourself a playlist of all the tunes in it, listen, listen, listen, then choose 3 or 4 tunes that are in your technical ability and practice them like crazy until you are happy with how YOU sound when you play them.

·
Registered
55 Posts
A friend of mine plays on his 4C for over 10 years now. He liked it from the start and it's what he is used to playing best. Also, he sounds good with it!
He experimented with reeds to color the sound. That's an inexpensive thing to try out.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you decide to try something out, as others have said the best way is to try as many pieces as possible. And to get a particular sound, it doesn’t matter much... the 4C is a good choice. I actually don’t remember what my first mouthpieces were, when I was really developing my sound. They were cheap and possibly generic brands

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Stop the presses! This may be a first: someone actually changed their mind as a result of an SOTW discussion!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts