Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, & Forum Contributor 200
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been offered 1st tenor in a local big band , so have joined to meet some people , have fun and improve my reading . Anyone have any experiences or tips as this is a first for me . . ( I already clumsily closed the charts leaving one ringbinder outside the pages !:| )

Cheers

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts
If you already have the soloing chops (probably so, since you were asked to play tenor 1), then use this to make yourself an impeccable section player. From day one, make a point of listening to the leads. Try to match their phrasing, dynamic level, and pitch, so that you blend in the section. It's that kind of stuff that gets you asked back, as well as asked out to other bands.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Totally agree. I'm a 2nd alto that knows my job is to enhance the 1st alto. I had to fill in as 1st tenor. Keep time, accept help from 2nd tenor if they're up to it and good luck with the solos.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
Enjoy every second of the experience. Big Bands are becoming rare these days.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,937 Posts
Listen. Listen for where the rhythm section is playing - determine which of them is leading their section. Listen to the band to learn what parts complement your part - it will change from time to time, perhaps even within one chart. You need to know who to listen to for phrasing, pitch, and time.

If the second tenor is up to it, share solos to build the section and help make everyone feel included.

Listen.

Shed like it matters. Even if you are new to the band and find that others don't yet nail their parts, don't let that set the standard for you. Make it a better band.

Listen. Learn who are the leaders within the band and learn whether they are effective and why.

Enjoy! Big bands are living jazz heritage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts