Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just 3 days ago I recieved my Phil Barone Vintage tenor and was much pleased to find it a way better horn than I expected. You guys have written a lot good things about these horns, but one thing is reading and listening to others play the horns - a completely different story is to try one for your self.

The first thing I noticed was how easy it is to play right out of the box. Very good ergonomics. Very good response and intonation (tested every tone from top to bottom with a tuner - and all but middle G was spot on) (G was an 1/8 to low) and hardly anything you would hear when playing - well at least not me... others might notice it.

Secondly as a tech I gave the horn a thorough look over, and found it to be in really great shape, and the factory setup was above average. Only 2 very fine adjustments was needed on pads. On a personal note, and this is my very own personal note, I find, that factories tend to sink the tone hole edges to deep into the pads, but nothing I noticed when playing the horn.

The overall finish of the horn is absolutely smashing. Phil... you can raise the price a grand and it will still be a killer deal in terms of what you get for your money.

The gold plate is perfect, and I have had a few plated in my time to spot a great job. It looks, feels and plays to my standards perfect...

I can highly recommend this model - the Vintage.

I hope we can get some more Barones to Denmark!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
cool, i'm thinking about buying one. Don't you want to post a recording?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Phil... you can raise the price a grand and it will still be a killer deal in terms of what you get for your money.
But Phil, please don't.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
But Phil, please don't.
agree, people are just stupid.....F***, with all respect...
i don't know why this kind of comments happen, on i live the price of things are just fine, but when someone of more economic power appears and says something like that the price goes up... not everyone of us have the same economic power...don't f*** the rest of us...

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I don't think Phil ever will. I honestly think Phil does try to keep prices accessible to all players, and I salute him for it.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I don't think Phil ever will. I honestly think Phil does try to keep prices accessible to all players, and I salute him for it.
sorry, i wasn't talking about your comment in particular, i think i explained myself better now.... we need to be careful when talking about prices i think... i've been rude... i apologize [rolleyes]

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Ummm....I'm pretty sure you quoted the wrong post.
yeah i already explained, i quote because he was talking about the same, just that...my bad, i hope saxguy007 has understand what i've said, i was about raising the price of course

i didn't needed to delete :)

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
It's all good. Just count to 10 (or 100) before posting like what was your original, pre-edited post #8.

Moving right along...

Let's celebrate that the OP got a great horn that he loves!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
It's all good. Just count to 10 (or 100) before posting like what was your original, pre-edited post #8.

Moving right along...

Let's celebrate that the OP got a great horn that he loves!
sorry, i've been impulsive on this one eheh =) i didn't think memberes would read so fast, so i tried to change a little bit before anyway...
yeah i hope it's a great horn, i would like to play/test one, i opened some days ago a thread about this, i have posted on that.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
stormott77 I think I will come to love it as well - "as time goes by" - I mean now its just a "lovers at first sight" thing :)

I just heard it play against my good friend and tech wizzs Selmer mrk VI (and he claimes to have the best VI tenor in Europe.... ) And with my yes closed there was a big difference in volume and warmth. The VI sounded very good at the top and bottom - but thin in the middle compaired to the Vintage - but thats just my ear. The Vintage had a very even tone character all the way up an down.

Off cause my friend didnt want to admit that it was almost as good as his beloved VI - but that does not bother me one bit - I love the sound, and its MY horn.

BUT in terms of mouthpiece I dont think I am quite there yet in terms of having found the right one for me. I like the Phil Barone Vintage mouthpiece that came with the horn, but I think I want a bit more bite to the sound. What would you guys recommend me to try out? Stormott77 and saxguy007 what do you use?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Stormott77 and saxguy007 what do you use?
I use an RPC with a high baffle for amplified bands because it "cuts."

When I don't need that volume, I prefer a Phil Barone Jazz 7* (metal) or sometimes a "Phil-Tone tenor" for combo work, because both pieces restrain the inherent brightness in my MAC8/vintage tenor, and sound smooth. Smooth is my general sound concept.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks guys! I had been contemplating a Hollywood, but since I mostly play blues and some jazz, I doubt if that is the right one for me... - but I heard a piece you played Stormott77 some were, and that sounded very nice :)

Smooth is good :) yes perhaps a PB Jazz is a good choice .... well guess I will sleep on that for a bit...

well thanks again

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,640 Posts
With my Hollywood and classic combo I get that Brecker Mintzer sound very similar to how they sounded on Jaco's birthday album. I was playing along to Invitation on the album and I could easily get both of there tones. Now if I could only play lines like them too. That link on one of my eariler posts in this thread has clips on my review page. Every clip I'm playing a Hollywood with the Vintage tenor. If you go to the Pete Thomas blues project link in my sig I'm playing my Hollywood with my Cannonball Big Bell Global.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts