Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually play with green java #3's with either a Vandoren V16 (A7M) or Jumbo Java (A55) mouthpiece. Recently I've been feeling that perhaps my #3 Javas are too soft for the v16 mouthpiece, but the wider tip opening on the A55 keeps the reed resistant enough.

I just got a normal Fibracell #3 in the mail today, and it was bright and disconcertingly easy to play right outside of the box. From what I've gathered about synth reeds (in these forums), they should be a little resistant from the beginning, before they gradually break in and become softer. Even though the reed was very bright, I had great difficulty popping out altissimo as well. Is that normal for fresh-out-of-the-box fibracells?

Should I have ordered a 3 1/2 or a 4? Since this is my first synthetic reed, I'm having difficulty gauging whether it is too soft for me. I'm also playing everyday now for various projects and bands and I worry that my embouchure will demand more resistance from my reeds.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
actually I think it goes the other way.. if you play a 3 reed ,then a 2 1/2 fibracell should be right

·
Registered
853 Posts
I play on a V-16 7M as well, and I use a #4 Fibracell. They feel very comfortable and responsive right out of the box. If I use cane, I use around a #3 reed. I think your experience is similar to mine in that Fibracells feel soft. I'd try some 3.5's and 4's. I think you'll be happier

1 - 5 of 5 Posts