Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear fellow musicians,

I am interested in playing Coltrane's "My Favorite Things" in my quartet. Does anyone have the melody and/or changes? Don't worry about the key. I'll transpose it.

Thanks Guys!
Kevin H.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I'm not exactly sure what you're asking for here. The original song was written by Rodgers and Hammerstein, so you could look for chords and/or a lead sheet based on that. If you were wanting to play it like Coltrane did when he covered it, I think I would consider his solo to be incredibly difficult to transcribe. As amazing as Coltrane's playing is on his version, my personal opinion is that it is McCoy Tyner's piano playing that really makes the song. What do you like best about Coltrane's recording, and what aspects are you hoping to replicate?

Either way, it's a great song, and I wish you good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Harmonizer, that song is all about the piano. It just flows doesn't it? I'm not looking to transcribe Trane's solo, I'm looking for the melody. My piano player is really good at creating jazz chords, and especially alterations. I just need the basic melody, with the basic chords.

·
Registered
711 Posts
It's in Real Book Vol1 but as has been stated Trane plays it very differently. It's all about the vamps - these are what he solos over. I'm not sure if this version is written down anywhere.

Here's a version of the changes - if you cant figure out the melody well.....

http://www.songtrellis.com/picture$2157

http://www.songtrellis.com/picture$2158

·
Registered
108 Posts
Right -- the A part of the melody with long vamps in between. And he only plays the bridge ("when the dog bites") toward the very end. I haven't seen a chart done of the arrangement but it is described pretty well in a book on Trane by, I think, Lewis Porter. And the transcription is published in a book by Hal Leonard.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,254 Posts
Aebersold also has the tune in at least one volume of his play-alongs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts