Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In @Keith Ridenhour's Zoom meeting last week, there was a peek at my practice studio project in a metal building behind my house. I'm really excited that it's moving along and close to finishing. Hopefully within the next couple months. Here's a pic of the second layer of decoupled drywall going in with Green Glue.

As a joke I was gonna throw it in the Photography thread, but that would have been rude to @J-Moen :)
Floor Flooring Wood Composite material Gas

· TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
8,153 Posts
In @Keith Ridenhour's Zoom meeting last week, there was a peek at my practice studio project in a metal building behind my house. I'm really excited that it's moving along and close to finishing. Hopefully within the next couple months. Here's a pic of the second layer of decoupled drywall going in with Green Glue.

As a joke I was gonna throw it in the Photography thread, but that would have been rude to @J-Moen :)
View attachment 148708
Not at all! I see plenty of value on the green glue art you made there :)

Looks nice! Can't wait to see the final product

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
Sax, Flute, Keyboard, Vocal
7,157 Posts

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
38,761 Posts
I'm liking all the power boxes.

Reactions: plbgbiz

· Forum Contributor 2017
“I play sax but mostly it plays me”
10,472 Posts

View attachment 148708
I love it. I did mine last year. I have an indoor room with a recording closet that is dead. It’s part get the hell away from the wife and kids as much as a place to practice and rehearse with two others and record. I’ll add pics later.
Good work!

· Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm liking all the power boxes.
That’s something I’m especially pleased with. There’s never too many outlets. 3 separate circuits in the practice room. Three walls of outlets on one, one wall with the control desk outlets on one, and the lights on a third.

The two outlet circuits are on the same 110v leg, and the lights are on the other. Not sure if it will make a real difference, but my intent was to keep the lights as separate as possible in case of any interference. Probably won’t make a difference, but I‘ll never get a chance to do it over.

· Registered
34 Posts
Really Smart thing to do on your build! Keeping everything separate from anything in your recording/ electrical music gear will help block EMI and RFI being carried over the the AC powering and grounding your gear. It will stop all that from leaking in to your gear as much. Some guys use completely separate and Isolated power for any of their music gear. But unless your an electrician it gets so expensive.

it looks like you gave put a ton of planning and work into this, not to mention cash!

It’s great to see guys like you doing builds like this!
Their is always so much to learn and consider about such builds as this! Keep em coming!

· Registered
34 Posts
Really Smart thing to do on your build! Keeping everything separate from anything in your recording/ electrical music gear will help block EMI and RFI being carried over the the AC powering and grounding your gear. It will stop all that from leaking in to your gear as much. Some guys use completely separate and Isolated power for any of their music gear. But unless your an electrician it gets so expensive.

it looks like you have put a ton of planning and work into this, not to mention cash!

It’s great to see guys like you doing builds like this on SOTW.

Their is always so much to learn and consider about such builds as this! Keep em coming!

Oh and when your done, if you’re not doing anything, maybe you could build one for the rest of us!! 🤣😂😅

· Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
…it looks like you gave put a ton of planning and work into this, not to mention cash!
It’s been an extremely long project that started about 4 years ago. With the exception of the spray foam insulation, I’ve done the work myself. I work on it in between real work, as I have time and money. Coming together kinda like Johnny Cash’s song, “One Piece At A Time”. 😬

The electrical was a big part of the planning, as was the wall construction. The drywall is decoupled on hat channel, and green glue between the layers. Clay pads around all electrical boxes.

I have a junction box on the control desk wall that has conduit all the way to my underground concrete storm shelter (common thing here in Oklahoma). That will provide the most amazing natural reverb chamber. Plenty of space in the box, and conduit for a line to a speaker cabinet or small guitar amp, and a couple of mics coming back to the computer. I likely spend uncountable hours playing with mic placements for natural reverb and echo effects.

I’ll put together some more pics of the process.

Reactions: Seraphim

· Registered
4,554 Posts
Isn't it an IRC requirement to have the lights and outlets separate? It's always a good choice regardless in case someone trips the breaker. Then at least you are not stranded in the dark. Also the Article 210.52 max 6 ft spacing between outlets is another new requirement but it looks you are well within that requirement.

Nice job, sorry I missed the call today

· Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Isn't it an IRC requirement to have the lights and outlets separate? It's always a good choice regardless in case someone trips the breaker. Then at least you are not stranded in the dark. Also the Article 210.52 max 6 ft spacing between outlets is another new requirement but it looks you are well within that requirement.

Nice job, sorry I missed the call today
I missed the call too.

Yes, way under the distance requirement for outlets. It’s not just that I put the lights on separate breakers, but they’re on a different leg of the power coming in.

· Registered
34 Posts
It’s been an extremely long project that started about 4 years ago. With the exception of the spray foam insulation, I’ve done the work myself. I work on it in between real work, as I have time and money. Coming together kinda like Johnny Cash’s song, “One Piece At A Time”. 😬

The electrical was a big part of the planning, as was the wall construction. The drywall is decoupled on hat channel, and green glue between the layers. Clay pads around all electrical boxes.

I have a junction box on the control desk wall that has conduit all the way to my underground concrete storm shelter (common thing here in Oklahoma). That will provide the most amazing natural reverb chamber. Plenty of space in the box, and conduit for a line to a speaker cabinet or small guitar amp, and a couple of mics coming back to the computer. I likely spend uncountable hours playing with mic placements for natural reverb and echo effects.

I’ll put together some more pics of the process.
Wow! Sweet! I love that you built a Reverb Chamber below! You will be able to re-amp tracks and keep your speaker cabs there! Great idea and use of space! Separating the drywall, and isolated electrical on a separate box! Super Nice!

· Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow! Sweet! I love that you built a Reverb Chamber below! You will be able to re-amp tracks and keep your speaker cabs there! Great idea and use of space! Separating the drywall, and isolated electrical on a separate box! Super Nice!
I'm really excited about that! Lucky for me that I had the foresight to run two conduits from the shop to the storm shelter when it was poured. Originally one was for power, and the other for telephone and cable TV. The power outlet is alone on a single circuit, and the other conduit will be for the mic/audio cables. Gonna be SWEET!!!!

Reactions: lostcircuits

· Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Your space is looking great! It was cool to get the virtual walk through on the zoom call last week.
Kinda backward in time considering you saw what it looks like currently, but here's the start from a few years ago.

I guess this is as good a place to start as any. I'm going to post a few pics in chronological order to show how the project has progressed. The planning and decision making process to make this a reality started early in 2019, so I am a good 4 years in. For a number of reasons, practice in my tiny home usually feels like more trouble than it's worth, and the 15' x 30' shop out back that I started my plumbing company in, had become little more than storage. That's the circumstances that got me headed down the practice studio rabbit hole.

The original plan was a lot like the Pirates Code, suggestions more than actual rules. Along the way there have been miscues, and changes that are typical of any DIY home project. I guess being a contractor for over 30 years didn't insulate me from changing my mind, or having new ideas. It being slow project makes that even more likely to occur.

The back end of the shop had a small laundry room, and a restroom with a shower. After settling in on new building layout (studio, bar sink/fridge room, restroom, workshop area) I had to get things cleared out and start demo work. The first pic of the inside is after I had already removed the 1/2" plywood from the walls in the shop area. There was no drywall except in the back room. At the time it was perfect for throwing a screw wherever to hang whatever.

Sky Plant Property Cloud Garage door

Wood Floor Flooring Hardwood Beam

Wood Building Ladder Flooring Hardwood

Building Wood Hall Floor Flooring

· Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The next phase was ground work on the plumbing. This is likely the only part of this whole thing I'm actually qualified for. LOL

Since I was the one that did the plumbing when it was constructed, I already knew where everything was. The back end of the building was designated to be the studio, so none of the existing plumbing was usable. I capped everything below the slab, and ran a new lines for everything. New water service from outside, toilet, lavatory, bar sink, icemaker line for the fridge, frost proof outside hydrants, shop sink, condensation drain for the a/c unit, and water lines for a tankless water heater.

This was also when I started coming to grips with my electrical issues. The panel was great for the workshop, but not what I needed to separate circuits for the studio. Somewhere along the line I realized having the panel in the studio was a problem as well. More on that later.

Wood Flooring Floor Composite material Gas

Electrical wiring Floor Gas Wood Machine

Composite material Gas Asphalt Wood Road surface

Automotive tire Road surface Wood Line Composite material

Wood Gas Asphalt Composite material Soil

Wood Gas Tool Art Hand tool

Wood Floor Flooring Gas Composite material

Road surface Asphalt Flooring Floor Automotive tire

Attachments

· Registered
4,554 Posts
The next phase was ground work on the plumbing. This is likely the only part of this whole thing I'm actually qualified for. LOL

Since I was the one that did the plumbing when it was constructed, I already knew where everything was. The back end of the building was designated to be the studio, so none of the existing plumbing was usable. I capped everything below the slab, and ran a new lines for everything. New water service from outside, toilet, lavatory, bar sink, icemaker line for the fridge, frost proof outside hydrants, shop sink, condensation drain for the a/c unit, and water lines for a tankless water heater.

This was also when I started coming to grips with my electrical issues. The panel was great for the workshop, but not what I needed to separate circuits for the studio. Somewhere along the line I realized having the panel in the studio was a problem as well. More on that later.

View attachment 149316

View attachment 149317

View attachment 149323

View attachment 149325

View attachment 149319

View attachment 149322

View attachment 149321
View attachment 149320
Didn't you want to kick yourself in the rear when you had to cut out the concrete, instead of sparing it when you cast the floor? Been there, done that! Hope it was not too dusty!

· Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Didn't you want to kick yourself in the rear when you had to cut out the concrete, instead of sparing it when you cast the floor? Been there, done that! Hope it was not too dusty!
Nah, in my world having emotional attachment to concrete, 2x4's, and drywall is a losing battle. Moving the toilet flange 3 inches after I poured the concrete because I missed my own rough in measurement...now THAT pissed me off. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Gas Jewellery Waste Soil Circle

Asphalt Road surface Wood Gas Tints and shades

1 - 20 of 21 Posts