Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this is the right forum to post this on, if not please move it to the correct one. But I am seeking advice.

Here goes.

I have at present a CE Winds Alpha 1 tenor based upon the 82z. It is a nice horn but is on the bright side. I would like to tame it some as I posted on the mp forum
.I would like to make it "warmer" if that is even a discription of tone. I know alot of this is up to me and my doing long tones. I have some options but am not sure that in the long run which is better. I play 2 time monthly in church. Contemporary Christian so it can be rockin, blusey or subdued all in the same set.
I have consulted some with Mark and Brian of CEWINDS and also with Phil Engleman of Phil_tone mp. I presently have a Rousseau studio jazz worked by mojo ( really nice) and a Runyon SR dark but seem to dull my sound (resonance??)
So here seem to be my options.
1. Keep my horn and add a Phil Tone HR Link approx 190.00
2. Keep my horn and add either a Barone or CEWINDS Pro neck approx 225-300.00
3. Keep my horn and add both a neck and a hr mp, approx 3-5 hundred
4. Keep my horn and do nothing
5. Trade my horn for a ce Alpha 2, same bore but better materials and different copper content.( warmer?? I know the debate-) but it does have a better neck.This I hope would cost me approx the same or a bit more than a neck and mp.

I really cant afford a Big 4 horn nor do I think it would be cost effective.

I like Barone horns, and Kessler handmades, but just dont have the cash now, and cewinds will give me a good deal since I am a returning customer. It would make it feasable to trade there.

But is a new horn really Needed? ( I am asking myself that)

So I am asking for any suggestions or opitions and if you want can pm me if you would prefer.

·
Registered
260 Posts
If you spoke with Phil_Tone about your situation and he had a mouthpiece recommendation, I would start with that. Mouthpieces do make a big difference in terms of tone. If after you get the mouthpiece and it is still not exactly what you are looking for, then you can go with a different neck.

The mouthpiece can always be used, no matter what tenor sax you have so that seems like the best way to start.

Also, maybe consider a different reed choice. What reeds are you currently using?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use a legere studio because myy hn has to sit like 45 min between sets. I like aleexander. Dc when I find good ones. I jave heard zz are good

·
Registered
442 Posts
I like Legere reeds, and in my experience, they play brighter than some other reeds I've used. I think the advice to start experimenting with different reeds (and a mouthpiece) is good.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I've found that reed choice makes enough of a difference for me - one brand/cut of reed tames things down for wind ensemble, another brand/cut brightens things up for jazz ensemble. It might not work for you, but it doesn't cost too much to try out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts