Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heythere...

I just whipped up a nice reharm. of My Country 'Tis of Thee (AKA God Save the Queen).
Sounds nice as a warm ballad and as a medium swinger.

Anyhow, if you have a 4th of July gig coming up — or just might want something to read for fun, go ahead and download your free copy from my website.

Here's the overview:

Enjoy!
~ Rick

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Rick, it's nice of you to make this available but for a thread and dialogue topic on harmony, there's scant of it. Would you consider an addendum with the chords fattened up so that your point about reharmonization is clearer? I think it might help you get your ideas across more effectively. I mean . . . you did all this work, right? :thumbrig:

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response, Gary. You make a good point: I should not have implied that this was a significant reharmonization when, in fact, it's more of an enhanced harmonization of the basic chord changes. Yes?

Nonetheless, the sum of the subtle differences in the harmonic schemes of "traditional" and "jazzy" versions is that they sound different.

So, at your suggestion, I prepared a compare-contrast study between a common "traditional" harmonic scheme and the "jazzy" version I presented:

TisOfThe_comparison.jpg

Do you think this addresses the issue better?

best wishes,
~ Rick

p.s. I pulled the «traditional» chords from this recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG1W7JDWv50. It's in F, but I transposed to Eb to compare apples to apples.

Attachments

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Yeah, nice work and good food for thought. My suggestion though, guess I wasn't clear, was not regarding the notation, but in your recorded examples. I can look at those lead sheets and hear the changes, but there are probably a lot who can't so that's where a more tangible, fuller-voiced recording of the harmonies would come in handy. Maybe even one time through slowly in block chords. That was my suggestion. Of course, if your intention was just to call attention to the lead sheet itself and that it can be downloaded, leaving it to the readers to use as they see fit, then that's different. Nice of you to share it, at any rate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts