1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
The music has a definite crossover feel, but if I were asked to categorize it with no knowledge of the process of composition, I'd call it "chamber jazz." The reason for that is the sound, rhythms, and phrasing of the alto sax, which remind me of Paul Desmond.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The music has a definite crossover feel, but if I were asked to categorize it with no knowledge of the process of composition, I'd call it "chamber jazz." The reason for that is the sound, rhythms, and phrasing of the alto sax, which remind me of Paul Desmond.
Thank you for the input and for listening. These genres are so difficult to define- my composition teacher called it an "art song"- but she's a purely classical clarinet player. The assignment was simply for a chamber piece of some kind, so I stuck with just two instruments, and it was supposed to be through composed vs. verse/chorus or A section B section, a different way of writing than I generally do. I recorded different sections at different times as I was writing, so I'd like to record it in one setting.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
I actually think it depends on context.

If you're Wynton Marsalis, it's not jazz. If you're John Lewis, it is.

If you are known as a classical composer and most of your music is from that category, then your piece might be called contemporary music falling into a classical category.
If you are primarily a jazz composer, then your piece might be looked on as an extension of that; jazz.

To my ears, it is simply a piece of contemporary music with both elements contained in it and, as such, is a more generic, "contemporary" piece. It would probably find a home in part of a classical or jazz recital. Nice writing, BTW.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually think it depends on context.

If you're Wynton Marsalis, it's not jazz. If you're John Lewis, it is.

If you are known as a classical composer and most of your music is from that category, then your piece might be called contemporary music falling into a classical category.
If you are primarily a jazz composer, then your piece might be looked on as an extension of that; jazz.

To my ears, it is simply a piece of contemporary music with both elements contained in it and, as such, is a more generic, "contemporary" piece. It would probably find a home in part of a classical or jazz recital. Nice writing, BTW.
Yes, I suppose it would depend on the context of what I usually write. I haven't written much music like this- it was fun- and thanks for the compliment!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I missed this one when you posted it. Very nice piece, I like it a lot!

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
Sonja,
from first few bars I got a feeling that I am in Broadway show hall. Just spontaneous...
May be some memories from the show I watched in September.

Very interesting piece.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,230 Posts
i would just call it music and let the people who concern themselves with labeling things do whatever it is they do. As a composer i would only concern myself with "is the music of a sufficient quality to satisfy myself?" If the answer is no, i would keep working on it. If the answer is yes i would let it go out into the world to seek its own fortune.

In my absolutely useless opinion, based on non-existent expertise, i would judge what you have presented as a nice beginning, a good start, but needing more development before some form of recapitulation. You have a nice, interesting idea, but i think you can do more with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts