Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got YAS21 that was probably in the closet for several years. I’m
wondering how old it is. S.N. is in the 3000 range. Anyone?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,672 Posts

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
How's the new alto feeling, sandster? Did you ever sell your tenor, or are you holding onto it just in case?

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Enjoy that old Yamaha. I had sn# 8282. Sold it but it was a fine horn. I suppose it wasn't old enough for me. Went back to the split bell key era.

I would guess as to early '70's vintage . . .

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
Older than my YTS61 91XX

OK, there is something fishy going on about yamaha serial numbers. I just saw an 875 tenor with a serial number of 5658

I'm guessing that Yamaha serial numbers go by model rather than specifically by date like selmers do.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, Zoot! The new/old sax is great! I've been blowing it for three or four days, in 15 to 30 minute bits. Still fighting the arthritis, but it is so much easier than my tenor. I can put in between my knee(s) - I'm an AKA, (above knee amputee), and my right hand can rest on my stumpy, making it much more comfortable to push the keys. As for the tenor, I've still got three Bundys and plan on refurbishing them before I put them up for sale. Not sure what I'm gonna do with my clar and flute.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, 1972, frrom all the above info. I have had a few of those oldies...Conn transition alto(1929). Beautiful horn and played very nicely. A couple of Conn Bb Sops. 1910 and 1922. Great little curvies.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, PigSquealer. A lot of info there! I think I'll print it out and make a booklet. I found out the sax was made in 1972. Also found out it was a really good buy for the money! I'm enjoying practicing. Going really slowly, doing some of the one note long tones for 5 minutes; some arpeggio exercise from Ernie Watts, and really enjoying "All The Things..." and "Confirmation". I can play these over and over without any boredom. Trying to improvise on them, as well, of course.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Sean! Check out the info that PigSquealer posted above. You'll probably find some answers.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
It's still confusing. Yamaha didn't do anybody any favors when it came to cataloging those early horns.

What would help me the most would be knowing what the first YTS62 purple lable horns were serial'd at. They were introduced in 1980. My 9000 series 61 I think is on the closer end to that than some others but I still have no idea.

I always say that my horn is from around 1975 but I'm not exactly sure.

·
4,672 Posts
Yeah, the information I posted above is not real discernible in the 62 area.
Well then you need to get a answer. See post #5 here.
https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?61854-Why-are-Yamaha-Serial-s-a-guarded-secret

Make it happen 👍 https://www.yamaha.com/?_ga=2.69324496.1305625052.1549174263-1104647391.1546244767
This link is for contact help outside the USA. Go to the bottom of the page and click on contact us. The page it opens has the phone numbers for Toronto, toll-free at the bottom.
I vote you as the test subject.😁

·
4,672 Posts
Thanks, PigSquealer. A lot of info there! I think I'll print it out and make a booklet. I found out the sax was made in 1972. Also found out it was a really good buy for the money! I'm enjoying practicing. Going really slowly, doing some of the one note long tones for 5 minutes; some arpeggio exercise from Ernie Watts, and really enjoying "All The Things..." and "Confirmation". I can play these over and over without any boredom. Trying to improvise on them, as well, of course.
You are very welcome.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Still fighting the arthritis, but it is so much easier than my tenor.
Alto feels much lighter under the fingers to me as well, less of a stretch, and easier on the neck. Whenever my joints are sore, I reach for my altos. But it's soooo much harder to get a decent tone than on tenor, and takes a lot more focus.

·
4,672 Posts
Alto feels much lighter under the fingers to me as well, less of a stretch, and easier on the neck. Whenever my joints are sore, I reach for my altos. But it's soooo much harder to get a decent tone than on tenor, and takes a lot more focus.
Both of you should try wearing copper bracelets. One on each hand. Available at some pharmacies for under $20. But not while playing so ya don’t ding anything
.https://www.google.com/search?q=copper+bracelet+benefits&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just ordered 2 from Amazon. Thanks!

·
Forum Contributor 2013-2016
Guitar and saxophone
420 Posts
Both of you should try wearing copper bracelets. One on each hand. Available at some pharmacies for under $20. But not while playing so ya don’t ding anything
.https://www.google.com/search?q=copper+bracelet+benefits&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari
My 67 year old younger brother started using CBD cream on his arthritic finger joints two years ago. He swears by it. His doctor gave him a prescription for it. My hands and fingers are a little stiff sometimes so I'm planning to ask my doctor for a medical prescription. Having said that, I'm going to give the copper bracelets a try as well.

·
Registered
790 Posts
It's still confusing. Yamaha didn't do anybody any favors when it came to cataloging those early horns.

What would help me the most would be knowing what the first YTS62 purple lable horns were serial'd at. They were introduced in 1980. My 9000 series 61 I think is on the closer end to that than some others but I still have no idea.

Hi Sean,
Yamaha serials are very strange. My YTS62 is 43XX and I have it confirmed by Yamaha that it was made in 1980, being a very early one. Maybe try sending Yamaha USA an email to help you date your 61. Good luck.

·
4,672 Posts

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good that you have been sharing all these various healers with us, PigsSquealer. I've tried the wrist band/brace and it wasn't staying in place. The four inch tensor bandage/tape helps me-it stays in place and, if not too tight, does provide some comfort. My doc has set me up to have custom wrist braces made.
Zelda, I think I'll give the CBD cream a try. Thanks for that idea.
So far, without braces or other devices, I've been able to play the alto for thirty minutes with minimum discomfort. I think I mentioned somewhere on this subject, a cream I use. It's Dr. Joe's Extra Strength Liv Relief. Quite expensive, ($27 a tube). Apply 3 or 4 times a day. It does help.

the

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry, SOTW, for airing all my ills. Pretty boring for most, I guess. No more from me on this "Closet Horn" post. Lots more on Yamaha, tho'. :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts