Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Awesome horn. Marin, I am curious what kind of mic and recording setup you are using? You have a ton of vids on horns and mouthpieces but to me they all kind of sound the same. I realize that you probably sound like you on any setup but it seems like you may be able to capture more nuance if you experimented with some different ways of recording these videos. I'd also love to hear you in a live gig situation to see a different side.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am just using my phone hahaha.. I just have not had the patience or time to take on another gear hunting adventure of figuring out which good mic to buy and how to set it up for video. I get really tired of trying to research and negotiate technological advances. Certainly this is not the best quality of recording device but it is neutral enough and decent for comparing the difference between things. One problem with mics in general is that they all have their own color. They are not neutral. Eventually I will put in the time to set up something good but not really ready yet.

·
Distinguished SOTW Researcher
2,848 Posts
Funny you should post this now, I was just about to post about an experience I had yesterday with my 222XX BA. The horn was "loaned" to my by my uncle back in the late 60s, and I played it all through school and subsequently gigged with it ever since. A few years ago I decided I didn't want to risk getting it damaged on gigs any more and put it into retirement when I found a great deal on a Serie II on Craigslist. Nice horn, took a while to get used to, I chalked it up to having played one tenor for so many years. Yesterday I got the BA out for kicks, and nearly jumped out of my hands, it was so resonant and alive! It was really amazing how much more bright and vibrant the BA was. I have to agree, this may have been the pinnacle of production for Selmer.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Mine is a 29,XXX, from 1941, absolutely brilliant as yours is with an incredible edge to the sound. Great videos!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,031 Posts
I have a friend with an original gold plated BA that’s in desperate need of a re-pad. I’d like to get him to sell me his original FL DR that came with it. It is probably the second best Link I’ve played. I put it on my BA and the early Brecker Link sound I love came out. Split double
Fs and everything.
I should’ve never played it in front of him.
I agree, the BA has a response I haven’t found in other Selmers.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Bigger bore maybe got something to do with it? Every Selmer bore since has been smaller including the SBA.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bigger bore maybe got something to do with it? Every Selmer bore since has been smaller including the SBA.

ably the most powerful horn I have, bright and aggressive (unexpectedly) and I usually associate that with smaller bore.

I have my doubts about that. The BA is prob

·
Registered
765 Posts
Exactly my experience - real edge and grit. Punchy character!

Not sure smaller bore size automatically means brighter: Viz Beaugnier/ Vito Duke Specials that have a huge bore (bigger than our 29xxx BAs in common) and yet are brighter still with enormous reserves of power.

·
Registered
8,031 Posts
ably the most powerful horn I have, bright and aggressive (unexpectedly) and I usually associate that with smaller bore.

I have my doubts about that. The BA is prob
I think the BA is smaller bore. It just seems to speak faster and play brighter than my MarkVI. I know it’s not the tell all but my BA neck is loose in the receiver of my Mark VI.
Since they were made in the height of the big band era maybe they were geared toward that before the classical guys got more involved later.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,679 Posts
A BA was my first love...borrowed from a friend who's Dad had played in some or other Big Band...engraved almost up to the thumb rest. Had it for a year or so and learned most of what I know by playing that Beast 10...12...14 hours a day every day for a year. I cried when i had to give it back. That was over 50 years ago...I was 21 years old.

I lucked out when i found an SBA a coupla months later for all of $300 or $400. It was good but not as good as that BA.
Traded the SBA back when it needed an overhaul (which would have cost more than the horn had originally cost me). The series 1A Super 20 that I got in the deal, made everything ok.

·
Registered
146 Posts
One of the best sounding horns (not mine) that I played was a 29.xxx SBA Tenor. Awesome!
Only the intonation in the low end is more difficult.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts