Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I'm new here and am hoping someone could provide me with info on my sax.
I'm now 33yrs and when I was 11 I began playing the alto sax and an old family friend dug out of her basement this alto sax. I played in 2 different school bands plus army cadets matching band. I stopped playing once I wasn't able to play nicely due to the pads cracking. A few yrs ago I found out that another old family friend had gotten it re padded and it's in playing condition. So anyways I'm trying to figure out how old it is and if it's worth keeping or selling. I'm attaching pictures and it's sencilled BEL-AIR. The sn is 11406 below the number is a L with a circle around it and below that it says made in czechoslovakia its 2 tone. If anyone could give me more in depth info as Google has not been helpful and our family friends as well as my mother are all passed away so no way of finding out its history. Thank you (photos attache

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,811 Posts
Let’s start saying that this is NOT a Dolnet.

Your Bel Air is an Amati saxophone made in Kraslice in the Czech republic, they are decent saxophones but not very highly appreciated by the market, yours in a very good state. Its value is really whatever one wants to pay for it but they go fro €100 to a maximum of €250 even in the best of state. In my opinion this is NOT worth selling, you will get little money and you can better keep it. You can’t buy a half decent instrument with the money that you will get for this (unless someone buys it thinking it is something that THIS is NOT).

Apparenlty somebody out there uses this model name ( normally associated with another brand which is no longer existing since the late ‘80) to sell these amati made saxophones

here another thread about a soprano made by Amati and branded Bel-Air

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?208712-Is-this-BEL-AIR-an-Amati-Stenciled-Soprano

This is what it looks like when branded AMATI Classic super, this was stenciled with lots of different names of which Bel-Air is one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the info realy good to know what make it is thank you and I think I will just keep it I enjoy playing and it be great to get back into a band.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts