Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The link below is a recording mix I just made using both of my altos to compare the difference in tone.

The first alto you hear is my Buescher True Tone Series III with Florida Link STM and original lig. The second is my gold-plated no-name no-serial number Yani clone prototype. The mouthpiece on the Yani clone is a Greg Weir Meyer copy perfected by Mojo with an inverted Bonade nickle lig. Both setups use a Rico Plasticover #3 reed.

http://cierra.cc/altocomp3.mp3

Ergo's are much better on the Yani clone, but I'm used to the Buescher, both feel great to me. Both saxes play and respond very easily with their respective mouthpiece setups. If I switch mouthpieces, bad things happens. That why I'm doing a total horn-setup comparison instead of just different sax or different mouthpiece.

Please let me know with tone you like best and why.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,581 Posts
The first one sounds more full, but it is really hard to hear the true sound with all the effects.

·
5,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only effect added is a little reverb that I usually use when recording. This is very close to what they sound like in the auditorium where I perform live.

Here's the True Tone as recorded alone:

http://cierra.cc/altocomp1.mp3

·
5,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,581 Posts
Both sound nice, flowing and lyrical. The TT sounds more rich and full to me, and I prefer it to the gold alto.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
We're not hearing the difference in horn, we're hearing a difference in mouthpieces more than anything.

That being said, your Truetone setup is by far the better sounding of the two clips. The gold-plated no name sounds thin and nasally in comparison.

- Saxaholic

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,444 Posts
Both are nice but I agree that I prefer the sound of the Truetone better. More refined and full. The clone is more raw and open. I could hear the Truetone playing several different genres but the clone sounds less refined, more of a RnR sound. But that's just what I hear.

Does the Meyer-copy mouthpiece have a smaller chamber than the Link? I'm really not familiar with those alto pieces - just wondering. The Meyer-copy/Clone setup kinda reminds of Boots Randolph-like sound, only on the alto of course.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I listened for a few trials and each time I grew more convinced the TT was my fav. The second entrance had an almost clarinet timbre.

·
5,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I use the Link on the gold alto, I get an airy sound (not in tone, but separate sound) that I have not been able to completely eliminate. But to get a fair comparison, here is the gold-plated alto using the Florida Link STM.

http://cierra.cc/altocomp4.mp3

1 - 9 of 9 Posts