Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just yesterday and today when i try to play an a :line6: it doesnt come out and its kinda "fuzzy" all the other notes are fine except for that one note. My sax is brand new (YAS-62) and had a tune up recently and my mouthpiece has no chips or dents. Does anybody know what i can do to fix it?:?

·
Registered
502 Posts
That actually happens to me too on all altos, tenor and bari I'm alright though. I'm convinced it's my embouchure, but it doesn't happen when I don't hold the octave key (and just lip it up), and also it doesn't happen on any other note...just high A. Lol, oh well, good luck in figuring it out, I too would like to know ^_^

·
Banned
624 Posts
saax poetry

my a sounds awful
my b sounds better
my c is crap
my d is drab
my e is evil
my f is f$%%!
but my g is great

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,976 Posts
Sometimes that happens if a piece of fuzz or cork grease gets stuck in the top octave key. I had a student that was happening to. I put a little pin through the whole of the octave hole on the neck swiveled it around and pulled out a chunk of cork grease. problem was solved. This might be it or it could be something else.:|

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,906 Posts
martysax said:
My mother, or was it Red Foxx, told me to always keep my a-hole clean.:)
Hello Mrs Martysax, Does Marty know you are on here?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,119 Posts
If A2 and above is the problem, I would check to see that the neck pad is not sticking closed, the neck spring is not too heavy OR that neck is positioned at an angle that the lever is not opening it. Could be dirt in the hole of the pip on the neck. Remove the neck key, clean the hole out with a pipe cleaner and some solvent.

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
When you finger G to A with the thumb octave key pressed the body octave key should close and the neck octave key should open about 1/8 - 3/16". If the neck octave doesn't open or doesn't open enough take the sax to your repair tech for adjustment. It should be fast and cheap (or free). If the neck key is opening the right amount, remove the key with a small screwdriver and clean the hole in the neck (octave pip) with a soft pipe cleaner. Close the bottom of the neck with the palm of your hand and blow hard in the other end to make sure all of the lint from the pipe cleaner is blown out. Reassemble the neck and try again. If the A is still stuffy, look at the pad that closes when you go from A to G. Does it look a lot closer to the tonehole than the other pads around it when they are open. If it does, take the sax to the repairman to adjust the key---another fast and inexpensive fix. Hope this helps.

John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts