Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I got a 6M tranny silver plate, and had quite a bit of work done on it from the previous owner’s poor overhaul by John Ledbetter in NYC.
The horn is amazing, and plays beautifully, but not with the TW NY Bros i have at home.

I have read a lot of the previous threads on which mpcs are good with the 6M, and have a list to go and try out, but am curious if anyone can shed light into why this horn and MPC do not get along?

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,343 Posts
I had a tranny 6M, and the TW NY was good, but not great. My favorite pieces on that horn were the Phil-Tone alto Intrepid and Rift. Then I picked up a 1950 Zephyr alto, and those two favorite pieces were suddenly just average. I do not think it is a mouthpiece volume issue since these two Phil-Tones had less chamber volume than the general mouthpieces that were available when the horn was made. I too hope that someone who understands this issue chimes in.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
I've been playing a 6M since 1978, and haven't found any MP to be particularly troublesome on it: Selmer C* soloist; Brilhart Level Air; Runyon Spoiler; Meyer #7 (this is what your MP is patterned after, I believe); Brilhart Ebolin.

What is it that you don't like about the way it plays on the 6M? I mostly play the Meyer.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,871 Posts
I've owned several of these horns. They are pretty mouthpiece friendly. The Theo Meyer piece just sucks IMO. Nothing about it is enjoyable to me. If the Theo piece plays great on other horns, it's just a pairing issue IMO.

I have used Lambersons, Morgans, 10mfan, and many others on the same horn with great success.

- Saxaholic

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
The chamber is probably too small. Try a Phil-Tone Intrepid — that's the one I use all the time on my old 6M. Great alto piece.

·
Registered
571 Posts
It may be the neck angle on the 6M that has you a bit adrift. If you are used to a Selmer type neck angle, the 6m is going to need a shorter neck strip to achieve your usual angle. Once you come to grips with that, maybe the mouthpiece will respond in a manner that you are accustomed to.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts