Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
You sound exactly like I sounded after five months. Here's how you can (I think) improve a lot in short time. Sit at the piano with a tuner and play long tones. Play the note first on the piano and then try to match the pitch on the sax. The tuner will tell you how close you came. When you play long tones, take a good Yoga breath beforehand. (Get your teacher to help you here). I really don't have time to play long tones through the entire range everyday, so I play every other note one day and catch the ones I missed the next day. It takes 10 minutes!.

This daily exercise of combining long tones with intonation training has really helped me. Keep going; you'll get there.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I've only be playing for six months myself and you sound pretty good to me. What are you using for a backing track?

Diskman50

·
Registered
886 Posts
For five months, you must be very pleased with your progress. You have a nice sound, even the higher notes. Watch your pitch, you play a little sharp sometimes, but that's typical for beginners. Just stay relaxed. You sound ready to try some more challenging material.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Nice to see a fellow Michigander enjoying the saxophone. Very good for 5 months! Ask your teacher for some more challenging stuff-Etudes scales etc. Long tones will definitely help solidify your tone and embouchure.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hal Leonard has some good play along books as well. I picked up one of the jazz books to get me started before getting the Mulligan play alongs.

http://www.google.com/search?q=hal+...paUFIH4gAfqoLEn&ved=0CEUQrQQ&biw=1900&bih=903
Sorry, the first book I picked up was a Dean Sorenson book, Standard of Excellence Jazz Combo Session.
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&rh=i:stripbooks,p_27:Dean Sorenson&field-author=Dean Sorenson&page=1

The Gerry Mulligan books we're actually by Hal Leonard.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts