Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
I played bari in a middle school marching band for a year, and 3 years in high school pep band. Never played any Jazz, but I'm starting to now after 20 years of not playing at all. I have a lot of work to do, but this recording has less mistakes than any other so I decided to post! :yikes!: I've had my bari for about 3 months now.

Btw, I'm practicing in my apt so I can only get so loud ;-/ Thanks for any feedback!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Oops! Call me a luddite, but I'm not involved with Facebook in any way, so I can't see/hear it.

Like you, I picked up the sax again after ~30 years off. Took a few days to even get back to being able to read music! :D
Keep at it every chance you get. It comes back faster than it took to learn the first time.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oops! Call me a luddite, but I'm not involved with Facebook in any way, so I can't see/hear it.

Like you, I picked up the sax again after ~30 years off. Took a few days to even get back to being able to read music! :D
Keep at it every chance you get. It comes back faster than it took to learn the first time.
Hi David and thanks! Sorry for the difficulties viewing the vid.. I was trying to post the vid using my work computer and did not have the actual video clip on that computer! So now I'm at home. I'll upload it to youtube and repost a link. And yes, it took a couple days just to be able to read the notes.. And a couple of weeks before my fingers could process what what my eyes saw fast enough HAHA I try to play about an hour a day, whether I'm tired or not. I will keep it up! You do the same.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's a youtube clip

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Nice love the tone wish it was miked better !How heavy is that Baritone ? I play alto , tenor and soprano

Doug

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
421 Posts
Nicely done.... if you we're to improv a couple choures there you might really have something. Keep it simple, use fragment(s) of the head as a motif.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wow you sound very good very impressed. nicely done and played.
Hey thanks David! It sure is easier getting caught up the 2nd time around lol. I never really played anything this advanced in school so it's challenging. I'm encouraged and will continue to work on trying to make the sax sing rather than just me playing it. This site and everyone here is inspiring! I tried clicking on your link to friend you but it just takes me to my homepage. Send me a request!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice love the tone wish it was miked better !How heavy is that Baritone ? I play alto , tenor and soprano

Doug
Hi Doug and thank you!!
Baritones usually weigh about 15 lbs. I switch between the harness and strap depending on the amount of time I play at a given time. Sorry for the bad sound. It's recorded on a samsung focus windows 7 phone (small mic!) lol. I'm really impressed with the tone I get from the Winston bari and my mpc/reed combo. I actually played this an octave lover than what the piece called for (playing this song in the higher register isn't easy in my opinion). I've played alto and tenor in the past prior to bari, but never soprano.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nicely done.... if you we're to improv a couple choures there you might really have something. Keep it simple, use fragment(s) of the head as a motif.
Thanks Groovesax!! Great advice. I didn't want to do Gerry to much of a dis service by trying to play one of his tracks so I'm glad it sounds like something! And I like the approach of keeping it simple, and as I learn to improvise, I can add a little of it here and there. That should be interesting lol. I totally feel like I need some "style" along with just continuing to learn notes. The work continues. I've been totally rejuvinated these last 3 months since being reunited with the baritone sax.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.