Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Muting is very important to me. My hearing is not good and I don't want to lose any more of my hearing ability.
Experiences with the sponge foam Sax Mute?
Is there a way to use an E-Sax for Alto with a soprano?

I cannot wear earplugs all the time.
Also, there are other people around, one of whom is a terminal cancer patient that I don't want to disturb.
Trying to learn to play quietly, have not made any gains toward that.

Have played soprano. One the reasons I sold it was because of the loud sound.

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
There are no cheap solutions in any small boxes for this problem. The only one is have a real soundproof cabin built.

Whatever mute you use you will need to have a great control to play soft, even with a mute. Playing quietly, with great control AND a mute is the only possibility but in the end if you are living in a flat with thin walls they will hear you , much ore so if people are in bed in a quiet location.

I am not aware of any soprano (straight or curved) mutes like the sax partner or e-mute (much better than the sponges or any other insert mute) but if there are, even those will still require you to play softly which is way more difficult on soprano because controlling a small reed at low sound level is not easy.

Registered
I also wanted a quick muting solution when I started soprano but never found one that worked and don't believe it's possible with the design of the horn. The good news is the more you play the better control you get and eventually you will be able to play at all volumes. I am considering getting an electronic sax for practice when I travel but I don't yet know much about them.

Registered
Yeah, just learn to play softer. A more experienced player can play soprano whisper quiet. Drop down to a softer reed if necessary.

Registered
You don鈥檛 really give any info to go on, eg. How long you鈥檝e been playing, what your horn is, what mouthpiece and reed you鈥檙e playing, are you playing at home, and worried about disturbing a neighbour, or in shared accommodation? With a bit more info it would be easier for folks to offer advice.

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
... I am considering getting an electronic sax for practice when I travel but I don't yet know much about them.
They are not for everyone. I bought a Yamaha because it had a reed and it had keys very similar to a saxophone and ended up selling it.

The only horn that I would consider buying (if I had a lot of money) to that purpose is a Synthophone http://www.softwind.com/synthophone.html which is generally built around an alto body but could be be built into an ordinary soprano (can even be a cheap one).
Normally they use Yamaha bodies.

Registered
Lighter reeds (under 2 strength or Soft) and less air. You will be able to get so quiet and they will not be able to hear you in the next room. And for some, if a person is across the room they can hardly hear you. But the reed has to be soft. If it doesn't work at first, just let the reed break-in and you will be able to get softer as time goes on. It's actually an embouchure and breathing exercise. Your tone should also become sweeter.

On the other hand, if your hearing is impaired to a degree where you have to play louder just to hear yourself, no mute or soft reed is going to work. Maybe a hearing aid?

All the best.

Registered
Soprano: 1983 Keilwerth Toneking Schenklaars stencil
If you don鈥檛 mind spending some money, you might look into a noise cancelling speaker system. The ones I am familiar with are used outside of offices so that conversations within the office cannot be overheard. Good quality systems work really well.

You might be able to set something up within your dwelling, a perimeter or some such, to limit the sound that escapes. I have not used these systems or set them up enough to recommend brands or set ups, but I know they exist.

Registered
Yeah, just learn to play softer. A more experienced player can play soprano whisper quiet. Drop down to a softer reed if necessary.
+1! I tried it this AM. Hard but beneficial.

Forum Contributor 2017
The only time a soprano saxophone should be muted is when Kenny G is playing it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts