Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way to mute a saxophone? I've seen a saxophone mute online, but it had bad reviews. And yes, I know, I know... A saxophone has holes everywhere for the keys and the notes. I am aware. I'm just so desperate sometimes because I want to practice late, or early in the morning. Or because I need to. Can somebody help me?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,596 Posts
if you're not practicing low end exercises you could always stuff a pair of socks in the bell of your horn

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,403 Posts
Thanks. That really helps. Playing in a closet seems like a good idea (with ear plugs in).
you don’t really need a “ walk-in closet” (not may of us have it and certainly not in the small urban apartments where playing a saxophone is a problem) an ordinary “ armoire” ( commonly known as a wardrobe) would do , just open the doors, insert your saxophone between the hanging clothes and play ( not too hard) and you will see how this will reduce enormously the sound.

Is this a permanent solution? I doubt that many people would do this on a regular base..........you would find yourself thinking: “......what am I doing?” while staring at the family’s coats, smelling their fragrance and having your hands a bit too warm.

Learning to play softly will aid any muting and at the same time do wonders to your breath control

1 - 7 of 7 Posts