Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
A: king zephyr martin HC 1 T: 1970 Mark VI, 1985 Buffet S1, 1935 Martin HC 1 B: 1973 Buffet SDA lowA
498 Posts
List it on eBay at 1 cent starting bid with buyer pays shipping. Make sure you disclose all the problems.

Inevitably someone will buy it and you might be surprised when two people get in a bidding war and lay an inflated amount.

You can feel good about not toss it in the trash and maybe one of the buyers will start another thread here on what to do with it.

:)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,685 Posts
I also say that this is the perfect piece to mess with if you are interested in learning something about mouthpieces. I've had success with mouthpieces that were in far worse condition. It's just a matter of how much time you want to spend on it. Since you can't hurt it, you could even "free hand" an improved facing. Just sandpaper and a flat surface. Better would be getting some basic equipment so that you have a measured reading of what you are doing.

One of the things you will learn is that the length of the mouthpiece isn't all that important. The thought of changing the length freaks out those who've never taken tools to a mouthpiece, but in reality the placement on the cork can make up for small differences. Also, the cosmetics freaks out many. This piece will likely never be pretty, but it can easily be instructive even if resuscitation ultimately fails.

I can tell by looking at it that the prior owner learned something.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
@Qalina are you sure you what you have is a Conn Eagle? it should have a metal ring !
I’m not sure what material you can use to repair one of these. Maybe @lostcircuits, @10mfan or @MojoBari can suggest A patching material.
View attachment 127495
View attachment 127500
View attachment 127501
View attachment 127498
View attachment 127499
View attachment 127496
View attachment 127497
Thank you for taking time and posting the photos, it's fascinating-the variety of pieces there is out there! Mine says "conn" and having the eagle engraving has led me to this conclusion(both barely visible but still). I have another Conn eagle with a metals ring (for C melody), so yes it's Conn Eagle allright.

·
Registered
84 Posts
if it really isn't worth anything, then this is your big chance to play around with a mouthpiece.

is the table flat? all you need is some fine sandpaper and a piece of glass.

does a reed seal on the rails and tip? again, all you need is some fine sandpaper and a piece of glass.

is the window pretty? all you need is some fine sandpaper.

at best, you'll make it your favorite mouthpiece. at worst, you'll gain a new respect for mouthpiece techs.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts