Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dear SOTWers, hope you can lend me your wisdom. I bought this vintage Conn Eagle alto piece in a bulk deal. I think it's been modified rather badly. please look at the photo-maybe you can tell what's been done to it and whether it can be improved at all. It sounds muffled. I think it's been shortened, too(possible tip chip?) the normal Conn Eagle length is 3,24 inches (8,25 cm) and mine is only 3,14 (8 cm). The left rail is uneven and from the inside feels bumpy, too. Anything that I can do myself at all (except throwing it away;)). I realise "take it to the professional" is an obvious choice, so apart from this advice is needed, thank you.
Hand Tire Finger Material property Tints and shades

·
Registered
778 Posts
Toss in a bin, you can get a none mangled one for less than trying to repair this and after the time, effort and cost what will you have?

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
OP, if you were local, I'd fix it for you but shipping back and forth alone costs 10x more than what the piece is worth. @B Flat may be able to help you but quite honestly, even local postage may exceed the value of the piece.

·
Registered
1955 Conn 16M + 1973 Bundy 1 alto
219 Posts
I'm the least knowledgeable person here, so take this with a grain of salt, but if you have any interest in ever working on mouthpieces there won't be any harm in taking sandpaper, files, a chainsaw or whatever to that one. It seems like an opportunity to get a feel for how each attacks the material, how to handle it, and so on. It'll still function as a doorstop afterwards.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Just I guess, but I'd guess that someone sanded/ground it down in an extreme attempt to open it, sanded into the window giving it that irregular shape, and also sanded off the original tip rail.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Just I guess, but I'd guess that someone sanded/ground it down in an extreme attempt to open it, sanded into the window giving it that irregular shape, and also sanded off the original tip rail.
No, nobody would do anything like that.

Much more likely is that whoever played the MPC got in a bar fight with the piano player and the piece accidentally fell off and got stuck between the pedals and stayed there unnoticed for 2 decades. And when the bar closed and they moved the piano, it scraped on the floor, hit a few nails and eventually fell off, just when the cleaning woman came with the big shop vac, so it got another few tumbles. There is really no other explanation!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,708 Posts
No, nobody would do anything like that.

Much more likely is that whoever played the MPC got in a bar fight with the piano player and the piece accidentally fell off and got stuck between the pedals and stayed there unnoticed for 2 decades. And when the bar closed and they moved the piano, it scraped on the floor, hit a few nails and eventually fell off, just when the cleaning woman came with the big shop vac, so it got another few tumbles. There is really no other explanation!
Yes I do believe this to be accurate. There is a complete absence of any canine impressions.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts