Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have been a long time follower of these forums but haven't joined until today. I have played alto sax for about 16 years now (with a 3 year break for law school, which I recently finished) and along the way have played tenor, bari and a bunch of other instruments. I have a Selmer Reference 54, a YAS23, a bundy alto (i got it for incredibly cheap), and a Bundy tenor (same as the bundy alto). I've decided now that I have more time to devote to my musical interests that I want to go in a different direction. In high school I was often entrusted with doing minor repairs on the school's horns- solder screwless keyguards onto horns, etc.

I have always had my eye on getting a C-Melody sax, in part because it would be amazing not to have to transpose anymore and in part from the history. After a lot of investigation and a very limited budget, last night I purchased a Pan American C-Mel for very cheap ($50) from someone on ebay with a good return policy. The horn seems to be in good shape (and again, if it is not I can return it- or just write off the $50 loss and use it as decoration, whichever) but has the original pads which I am about 99.9% sure will need to be replaced.

Now I have no repair parts or tools but recently ran across music medic's repair kit:http://www.musicmedic.com/catalog/products/kit-100.html

Is anyone familiar with it? What are your thoughts on it? I'm thinking that even if I'm ultimately unable to fix up the C Mel it might be a good thing to get for if I need to do repairs on my Bundys (I'd leave the Reference 54 to a professional). Also, does anyone know if the precision pads in the set include the resonators? The pictures show the resonators but the list makes no reference of them.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
3,286 Posts
For a limited time I am giving a free dvd from my "Birds Eye View" series, not including ones with narration.
Just go to my website, bandrepair.net and pick one out then send me a private message with your address.
Good luck.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For a limited time I am giving a free dvd from my "Birds Eye View" series, not including ones with narration.
Just go to my website, bandrepair.net and pick one out then send me a private message with your address.
Good luck.
That's awesome. Thanks! One problem though- when I try to pm you I get a page saying "wrhssaxensemble, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation." any idea how to fix that or otherwise give you my address?

·
Registered
873 Posts
I bought the kit and was somewhat disappointed with the quantities of the material supplies included and with the torch (that didn't work). Their stuff is really good, but I'd recommend just spending a little bit more and buying the tools and material supplies separately and it'll end up being cheaper in the end. You can get a cheap torch at Home Depot that works as well as the more expensive ones online. That way you won't run out of cork and felt after one horn. I bought mine 4-5 years ago though, I believe, so it may have changed by now.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Good luck.
do you send th dvd outside US?? I'm currently disassembling a C-melody for rigourous cleaning (silver plate and a 1927 sax..) and want to fix it up my self, all the pads are old and dry (white ones and brown ones)

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
I bought 3 of hornfixer's DVDs, and while they don't show absolutely everything, and you kinda have to know what he's doing to get anything out of them, they are very good.

I say this because they are in stark contrast to that lo-fi POS from Steve Goodson - one of those cases where less ($$) is definitely more. (In case that's not clear, do not buy the Steve Goodson video, unless you want to see a nice Mark VI being mauled...)

·
Registered
328 Posts
I bought the kit and was somewhat disappointed with the quantities of the material supplies included and with the torch (that didn't work). Their stuff is really good, but I'd recommend just spending a little bit more and buying the tools and material supplies separately and it'll end up being cheaper in the end. You can get a cheap torch at Home Depot that works as well as the more expensive ones online. That way you won't run out of cork and felt after one horn. I bought mine 4-5 years ago though, I believe, so it may have changed by now.
Same here, I think the best part of the kit was the instruction booklet (Stephen Howard's Haynes Saxophone Manual was not available yet when I got my kit). Hard to say about the tools, I bought the "upgrade kit" with just the materials and booklet as I already had most of the tools and was able to fabricate the rest. The materials are ok but the quantities are quite small. The pad selection was at least in my case nearly useless, few of them fit either of my horns. My horns are old East German ones though, so maybe the sizes are more appropriate for the more common ones.

If I started today I'd get mr. Howards excellent book, read everything I could find on the subject online including the old threads on this forum (as I've done) and buy the supplies I need separately. I'd still probably get them from MusicMedic, their service and quality of products has been excellent.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I got one of the Music Medic sax kits a while back. It is a good kit if it is just something that you are going to keep in you gig bag or for small repairs. For anything major you will definitely want to buy some better tools and more pads, glue, cork, etc. It comes in a much nicer box now, mine came in the old plastic box.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts