Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple years ago I contacted Curt asking him what he was using for blued needle springs because I was generally unhappy with most of the currently produced ones from the big american suppliers.

His reply was that he too was not happy and was looking at finding a better option.

Here we are a year or so later and a few months ago he made his line of springs available to the public. http://www.musicmedic.com/catalog/products/sprg-b100.html

I promptly bought a complete set.

I recently had a perfect candidate (a nice condition Mark VI alto) in the shop. Here were my opinions after using these springs.

#1 - I noticed that NONE of his springs were over hardened and brittle. This was my main reason for looking for another supplier.

#2 - The point on his spring seems like something done as a 2nd step in manufacturing. The color of the bluing is a bit different on the tip. I am uncertain if it was "touched up" after a point was ground on an already blued rod OR of it was a different texture from the way they formed the tip, and the light just hits it differently.

Either way makes no difference - this was just an observation.

#3 - After the entire sax was finished, I found myself not "playing games" when it came time to adjust tensions. I didn't have to worry about snapping a spring (as much). Because the character of the spring remained the same between all sizes, It seemed that I was spending less time "tweeking" on the stack keys to get an even feel.

All in all, these springs may be a little more expensive, but I am thinking they will make up for them selves in time spent working with them.

GREAT JOB CURT!!!!
A++

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
1,404 Posts
A couple years ago I contacted Curt asking him what he was using for blued needle springs because I was generally unhappy with most of the currently produced ones from the big american suppliers.

His reply was that he too was not happy and was looking at finding a better option.

Here we are a year or so later and a few months ago he made his line of springs available to the public. http://www.musicmedic.com/catalog/products/sprg-b100.html

I promptly bought a complete set.

I recently had a perfect candidate (a nice condition Mark VI alto) in the shop. Here were my opinions after using these springs.

#1 - I noticed that NONE of his springs were over hardened and brittle. This was my main reason for looking for another supplier.

#2 - The point on his spring seems like something done as a 2nd step in manufacturing. The color of the bluing is a bit different on the tip. I am uncertain if it was "touched up" after a point was ground on an already blued rod OR of it was a different texture from the way they formed the tip, and the light just hits it differently.

Either way makes no difference - this was just an observation.

#3 - After the entire sax was finished, I found myself not "playing games" when it came time to adjust tensions. I didn't have to worry about snapping a spring (as much). Because the character of the spring remained the same between all sizes, It seemed that I was spending less time "tweeking" on the stack keys to get an even feel.

All in all, these springs may be a little more expensive, but I am thinking they will make up for them selves in time spent working with them.

GREAT JOB CURT!!!!
A++

Thank you!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts