Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible that i will be a proffesional musician without a musical education from music schools?or to get play in orchesters and big band without musical education(i mean when i dont have any diplomas and stuff like that).I am learning things about music myself in home and i am playing in musicschool but without theory lessons.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Columnist, Forum Con
3,801 Posts
Sure, but you increase your odds significantly by going the education route. It is tough enough breaking into the professional music world. So you might want to increase your odds anyway you can. Who knows, you might even become a better musician to boot!

BTW, Bill Gates dropped out of college. He seems to have done okay for himself. :cool:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:)okay,but i am worrying about that,will the orchesters or big band taking me in if i have no education?and when i am not the best too:pbut enough good to get in these places

·
3,801 Posts
saxjuss said:
:)okay,but i am worrying about that,will the orchesters or big band taking me in if i have no education?and when i am not the best too:pbut enough good to get in these places
If you are teaching yourself, not playing with others, and just beginning, the best advice I can give you is:
  1. Read more in the "For Beginners" forum here on SOTW.
  2. Get lessons
  3. Listen to everything you can
You have a long row to hoe. After you've had lessons for a year and read this forum, I'd like to hear how you've progressed.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:Dthanks for advice.But i think that i am pretty good for that time what i have played saxophone.I am playing a hour in day mostly,5-10minutes scales and then some etudes,exercises and then pieces of music.I am starting a band too:)with my friends.Alt,tenor,drums,bass and a elecric guitar.i have played in music shool orhesters too for little time.offcourse not profesional bands bands things are easy to get in but symphony orchestras and really good big bands:Di think if i practise enough i will get once there too

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
saxjuss said:
If it's pop and jazz it's all about how you play. But I don't understand, "when i am not the best too:pbut enough good to get in these places". First, I'm not even sure what you mean, but if you mean can you be average and get in, if it's a high quality band, "no". Average doesn't cut it...unless of course the band, itself, is mediocre but I'm assuming your questions are aimed at high-level professional organisations.

Regarding orchestras, again, it's how you play but I would suggest that there's a cultural dynamic to orchestral musicians and if you don't sound educated and literate, then it's unlikely you would be accepted by these musicians. If your audition was strictly playing, you might get in -again assuming you are an outstanding musician- but if interviews are part of the screening process, then what I said above applies.

·
Registered
784 Posts
An audition would reveal your true playing abilities.
If you really become good, insist on one.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Should i go and let a proffesional music to teach me?My grandfather friend and big band mate is one of best saxophone players in my home country

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,487 Posts
professional musicianship nowadays is only constituted by playing to earn money, but if you want to go far then a proper music education would be good, even better a friend of your grandfather's, he might give you cheaper lessons.

·
3,801 Posts
saxjuss said:
Should i go and let a proffesional music to teach me?My grandfather friend and big band mate is one of best saxophone players in my home country
What country is that? Consider updating your profile using the "User CP" in the menu bar at the top of the page below the banner.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think it would be highly unlikely (though, not 100% impossible) for anyone to achieve the level of playing ability required to get into a high quality professional organization without going through some sort of education system. Not because of the degree, but simply because of how competitive it is.

It may be possible to become a decent player without a formal musical education, but in my opinion, only one in a million could become a high level professional on his/her own, without the teaching, pressures, and resources one gets as a part of a good music program.

·
3,801 Posts
TheOtter said:
It may be possible to become a decent player without a formal musical education, but in my opinion, only one in a million could become a high level professional on his/her own, without the teaching, pressures, and resources one gets as a part of a good music program.
Hmm... and that might be an optimistic estimate. :cool:

·
27,650 Posts
TheOtter said:
I think it would be highly unlikely...for anyone to achieve the level of playing ability required to get into a high quality professional organization without going through some sort of education system. Not because of the degree, but simply because of how competitive it is.
You know, that's a good point. Also educational programs have pretty much replaced the jam session as we (OK, some of us) knew it, and you need to get as much playing time in as you can. The competition in a really good program is good preparation for real-world competition and making acquaintances at school that might help you out in the future is also valuable.

·
2,487 Posts
talkin bout jam sessions,
the guildhall jazz diploma only asks you to lead a band and run off a couple of standards and solo over the chords in a jam sessions with a small audience, including a couple of examiners,

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Heh,okay i think i can handle it:Di will start training really hard:)
Like 2 hours in day will be enough i think or not?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And i wont need to pay much to that player:)i think he will make it for a brandy:Dhe is a nice person and my grandfahters good friend.Country is estonia

·
13,035 Posts
Not. If you want an orchestra job, you should plan on playing 6 hours a day with an additional 4-5 hours for practicing.

·
27,650 Posts
saxjuss said:
And i wont need to pay much to that player:)i think he will make it for a brandy:Dhe is a nice person and my grandfahters good friend.Country is estonia
Hey man, I went on a concert tour of Estonia two years ago. Also in the next room in my house, the man is from Estonia. I saw a lot of cranes, hah, hah - no jazz musicians though, :|

1 - 20 of 28 Posts