Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm attempting to learn how to improvise more theoretically; however, I'm struggling with symbols.

Can someone tell me what this means: CΔ+4

I was told that the + means sharp, but I feel like this is just another way of writing "add"

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
In this context: C Major 7 with sharpened 4.

You could use "add". Some people think that's clearer. It's the same meaning but just a matter of preference.

You'll find in jazz (and pop) that sometimes things are not "properly" designated. There is some flexibility in notation, usually the default is what works and what communicates the best. Don't get too black and white on this.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,586 Posts
The proper terms are 'augmented' for raised pitch and 'diminished' for lowered so they just use the 'plus' and 'minus' signs.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,212 Posts
In this context: C Major 7 with sharpened 4.

You could use "add". Some people think that's clearer. It's the same meaning but just a matter of preference.

You'll find in jazz (and pop) that sometimes things are not "properly" designated. There is some flexibility in notation, usually the default is what works and what communicates the best. Don't get too black and white on this.
I think of a 4 as a 13th.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Chord symbology!

Check David Baker's Jazz Improvisation page 2, I'd scan and post but I think that might be copyright infringment.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I have had this same question cashk- I've come to assume that the plus sign should technically mean sharp vs. the word "add" which means add- but sometimes it doesn't seem right. Ugh

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
The proper terms are 'augmented' for raised pitch and 'diminished' for lowered so they just use the 'plus' and 'minus' signs.
If you use "aug" instead of "+" you run the risk of confusing the designation pertaining to the basic chord and not the extension. Would you notate a chord C Maj 7, Aug 4th? I would default to other notations to avoid ambiguity.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,167 Posts
C7+9 would be C E G Bb D#
This one is very confusing, I would look at that quickly and think C E G# Bb D

ie augmented 7 with a 9.

I don't think of 9ths as augmented, they are either 9, sharp 9 or flat 9.

And thye ug symbol + is not there same as the sharp symbol, although the effect on the interval or chord tone is the same.

And I can also see how people get confused between + and "add"

·
SOTW Administrator
26,212 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts