Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, is there a music theory book that I can read that is geared towards music theory for a saxophone player specifically? I found the ones I've looked at a bit difficult given that I have to transcribe to my instruments key while reading it to try to see how it would apply to my instrument.

Would be great if there was something in mind for a beginner with Alto Sax. Any suggestions?

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,056 Posts
Hi all, is there a music theory book that I can read that is geared towards music theory for a saxophone player specifically? I found the ones I've looked at a bit difficult given that I have to transcribe to my instruments key while reading it to try to see how it would apply to my instrument.

Would be great if there was something in mind for a beginner with Alto Sax. Any suggestions?
I'm not sure I understand. Why would you have to transpose for saxophone? If it tells you the C Major scale is CDEFGABC that is what it is for the alto saxophone also. You don't have to transpose.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,582 Posts

My book is specifically for saxophone players, beginners impro. (Disclaimer it isn't all about bebop and jazz)

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Theory is theory no matter which key your horn is in. Like Nefertiti said the C major scale is the same whether you're playing an Eb alto or Bb tenor. You only need to transpose if the music your reading is in another key. For example, let's say you have a lead sheet for piano which is a C concert instrument, and the tune is in C major. You will need to transpose it to the key of A major for your alto. However, if your goal is to learn theory then you'll also need to learn to transpose, because it is part of music theory. Do you have a teacher? I would suggest you find a good music teacher that is also a saxophone player.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,357 Posts
Music theory is not instrument specific. It applies to all instruments. However, there is a distinction in terms of a 'chordal' instrument (like keyboard or guitar) vs 'single note playing' instrument like the sax. It's pretty obvious that you can't play two or more notes in a chord at the same time on a sax (leaving multiphonics aside). However, you still can play an arpeggio. But in most cases you are looking to target important chord tones (3rds, 7ths, altered notes) when you want to make the harmony clear.

Beyond that, the theory is the same, regardless of your instrument.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts