• Computer Hard Drive

• Pandora

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
YSS62, YAS62, YTS62, YBS62, Sopranino
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This topic is part of what I do for a living, but I'm also just curious what fellow horn players use now that we have access to every song ever recorded.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Added.
But I'd love to know if this is content you purchased and then committed to the HDD or content that was given to you by others or downloaded from a site (or what combo of these).

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
6,673 Posts
I didn't see any mention in the list of "Computer Hard Drive"
I see he added it. But I'm pretty sure most hard drives don't come with music preloaded on it. ;). Has to end up there somehow (best to avoid any pirate-talk 🦜)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,442 Posts
In addition to Pandora I use an app called, “Radio Garden”.
it’s really cool - a globe with thousands of radio stations by location. I highly recommend checking it out. It’s free. It’s also easy to spend hours surfing the world for new music.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I wonder if you might add regular YouTube as YouTube Music is specifically their paid subscription service? A lot of music is up on regular YouTube, ad supported too. (I’m also curious whether the 47% of respondents checking YouTube Music are actually using that paid product and didn’t mean just “music you can search for on YouTube”?)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wonder if you might add regular YouTube as YouTube Music is specifically their paid subscription service? A lot of music is up on regular YouTube, ad supported too.
Sure thing. But (pardon my ignorance) is that not a predominantly visual medium with associated audio? Or do you access stuff on your phone/TV, turn it up and then walk away/use headphones?

·
Registered
894 Posts
Sure thing. But (pardon my ignorance) is that not a predominantly visual medium with associated audio? Or do you access stuff on your phone/TV, turn it up and then walk away/use headphones?
I’m just talking about like this, for example. The video is just the record cover.

And you can sign up for YouTube premium and download it too. (I don’t.) But yeah you have to have a browser or app open in most cases.

When I have a voice student come in and say they want to work on a Billie Eilish song or whatever, pulling it up on YouTube is usually the fastest way for us to listen to it. (I don’t do Spotify cause I feel they’re a pariah.)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
alto: 82Zii/Medusa, tenor: Medusa, bari: B-901, sop: sc-990
7,686 Posts
… we have access to every song ever recorded.
I use YouTube music, Amazon, Spotify and good old CDs and vinyl. But we certainly do not have access to every piece of recorded music. Not by a long shot and I don’t believe we ever will.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I use YouTube music, Amazon, Spotify and good old CDs and vinyl.
Perhaps you can answer if you mean YouTube Music the paid service or just pulling up songs on regular YouTube? Now I’m really curious if their streaming service is this popular!

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Larger catalog? Better organized? You’re already heavily invested? Or all three?
They both have big catalogs but offer slightly different things. Also I built a big favorites list on Tidal that I don't want to lose, so I keep using it. But since Apple Music went lossless I could do without Tidal if needed. It's just for those few albums that I keep it, I guess.

·
Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
2,322 Posts
Like (I suspect) most members here, I use multiple sources: local radio (either direct or streaming), Pandora, Amazon Prime Music, etc.

However, I've always bought music and I continue to. I've belonged to several different streaming services, but only for exploration. I'm old-fashioned: if I like an album, I buy it (whether physical or digital), so I'm not tied to any particular service.

In terms of total time spent listening, most of my listening is actually still done via portable (Hi-Res) mp3 players. I checked "Computer Hard Drive" above (since portable mp3 player wasn't an option), but I rarely play tracks/albums that I own directly from my computer.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts