Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there everyone. I just got a job at a local music store as a band and orchestra sales person. This is great because I've always wanted a job like this. The one thing that concerns me is that I'm a sax player and I have little to no experience in other instruments except guitar. I'm doing research on my own to prepare, but it's always good to get extra help
So to get to the point. How do I help fellow saxophone players as well as other instrumentalists, such as what questions should I expect and what questions should I ask?
Thanks in advance.:treble:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
Go to a Comm College and take an Instrumental Tech course where they train band directors to teach the various instruments. Take catalogs home and learn the accessories and ask questions as to their use. When a road salesman comes in from the factories and distributors, ask them questions. Finally, don't give out advice that you aren't voiced in....know when you are not prepared. What store are you working for as I sold horns to dealers in NC years ago.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,981 Posts
So to get to the point. How do I help fellow saxophone players as well as other instrumentalists, such as what questions should I expect and what questions should I ask?
Depends. Do you get paid by commission?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
I remember when I started in Music retail, I had to go to a school and do a rental program for stringed instruments. First time I ever held a violin! Within a year, I was an expert!
Listen to others and compile your info...
After a year I was head buyer for the chain and then left to go on the road selling flutes and educating the guys at the store counters. Someday you will be passing along your knowledge too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice everyone. I've already have half a week under my belt and its going well. I'm working at Edwards Music in Fayetteville. I get commission. I'll take your advice and continue providing great service while asking questions. If there are some more tips I'll be more than happy to read them.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Here's my advice on sales:

RELATE to people. Break the ice by discussing things you have in common: love of music might be a good one.
LISTEN to people. There is a reason you have two ears and one mouth. You can't help them if you don't know what they want.
ADVISE. Advocate a solution through the telling of an applicable story. "I remember when I bought my first car...
SUPPORT. Provide exemplary service after the sale. Word gets around.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,597 Posts
Listening is good, asking the customer questions - having worked retail, these help you figure out what the customer really wants or needs (which may be different than what they initially ask for).

Learn from your fellow employees - chances are they know a bunch of stuff.

Learn about everything in the store - pick it up, look at it, play with it, try it out, read about it, know how much it costs. Ask your fellow employees about it - they probably have opinions/experiences with it.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I agree with all of the above and also I advise you to work on your teaching skills. Chances are most parents trying to buy a horn for their kid have absolutely no idea what to look for in a good horn other than "oh so-and-so told me Selmers are the best..." Speak in a way that the parents can completely understand and allow them to be educated. If they really like that you helped them through the process of getting a new horn then they probably will come back because of that great service. Sounds like you already know this and I advise you to constantly work on it. If someone helped me like that when my parents bought my first sax then I wouldn't have just gone for one of the best looking horns on the shelf (even though it really is a great horn).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts