Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
More and more I see incandescent stand lights being replaced by battery powered LED lights. Most of the lights such as the Mighty Bright come with AC adapters, so it is possible to use the lights plugged into AC which would have the benefit of their lower power consumption. But if AC power is no longer available in a pit or big band setup, that leaves only disposable batteries as most stand lights are not designed to use rechargeable batteries.

I have the impression the increased use of disposable batteries is bad for the environment though it is hard to quantify. Can anyone comment? Should be push back on this? One possibility is to volunteer to set up the pit with power outlets for all horn players.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,211 Posts
More and more I see incandescent stand lights being replaced by battery powered LED lights. Most of the lights such as the Mighty Bright come with AC adapters, so it is possible to use the lights plugged into AC which would have the benefit of their lower power consumption. But if AC power is no longer available in a pit or big band setup, that leaves only disposable batteries as most stand lights are not designed to use rechargeable batteries.

I have the impression the increased use of disposable batteries is bad for the environment though it is hard to quantify. Can anyone comment? Should be push back on this? One possibility is to volunteer to set up the pit with power outlets for all horn players.
Instead of live musicians just use a recorded track- saves a lot of batteries and money!!

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well yes it saves all the fuel for transportation. Better yet the audience should stay home and watch TV or dance to recordings.

·
Registered
122 Posts
No matter what size or shape battery is required, there is a rechargeable equivalent. LEDs are more forgiving than some older devices in regards to the slightly lower voltage supplied (e.g., the phantom power preamp on my ancient AMD clip-on mic, which doesn't like the taste of them.)

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
What light isn't designed for rechargeable batteries? The Mighty Bright is powered by 3 AA batteries, and mine is powered by 3 rechargeable ones.

Or you can scan your music and put it on an iPad.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Well, I have seen a lot of people using a wide variety of battery powered stand lights, but none of them do the job as well as the standard AC clamp-on light that's been used in big bands, pit orchestras, etc., for at least 50 years. Nowadays you can buy fluorescent or LED bulbs that will fit these (long tubular or candle shaped) so they are highly vibration and shock resistant, too. I have three or four of these and never use anything else. I recommend you do the same.

I can't say I have ever had any trouble finding electrons to power one of these. I do always carry a long light gauge extension cord (you know, one of the kind you can buy at the grocery store for a lamp or something), and one end of it has multiple sockets, plus I always carry a power strip, so I can always cut into the power one way or another.

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
You could make a pedal-powered generator stand light. Don't worry, they'll be laughing with you not at you.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,252 Posts
Yeah. I was gonna say pedal ...

I was gifted a stand light recently with a proprietary, glued in battery.
Not easy to replace with rechargeables,

·
Registered
122 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,435 Posts
I envy you if you nothing heavier than this to worry about. But I am sorry I wasted my time reading it.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Memorize the show......Problem solved.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How about solar lights then? These are motion activated though, so you better keep noodlin' if you want to see. Whole notes in adagio and slower tempos may be a problem, but no batteries to worry about!https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Waterproof-Lighting-Security-Stairway/dp/B07DW8T5YB/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1546626972&sr=8-2-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=solar+motion+sensor+light+outdoor&psc=1
I suspect your tongue was firmly in cheek for that? If there is a lot of light I have no need for a stand light.

Turf3, thanks for the idea. I had agreed with your opinion of the clamp-on incandescent lights being far superior however the newer Mighty Brights are pretty good.

1saxman, I do have more serious things to worry about but am trying to take a stand and make a different where I can.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I suspect your tongue was firmly in cheek for that? If there is a lot of light I have no need for a stand light.
It was, but not for my first reply. Rechargeable cells are available and can be recycled when finally spent.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
No matter what size or shape battery is required, there is a rechargeable equivalent. LEDs are more forgiving than some older devices in regards to the slightly lower voltage supplied (e.g., the phantom power preamp on my ancient AMD clip-on mic, which doesn't like the taste of them.)
Rechargeable battery makers have wised up and make all their batteries slightly higher voltage because those batteries don't ever make it up to the rated voltage when fully charged.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What sort of battery life do folks get from their Mighty Brights and similar?

Yes, I know the trick of removing one cell to prevent the light from being inadvertently switched on.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Not a solution for big band with a big book and many audibles.
My tongue was in my cheek.....Seriously, rechargeable batteries are a good option for stand lights. I am doing one band that is putting everything on iPads too. Then you don't have to worry about wind on outside shows or dark spaces at all. I also have a rechargeable bluetooth foot pedal to turn pages. The software is very easy to use and this solution works quite well. I think there are people doing this in pits too. If I am not mistaken, the last TV live broadcast of Jesus Christ Superstar had musicians in various locations on stage using monitors to see the conductor and tablets with printed music.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts