Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody. I've been playing my YAS-23 alto sax for 5 years, and it's time for me to get a pro horn for college.

I've tried the Yamaha YAS-62, Selmer Series III, Yanagisawa 901 and 991 in my town (Huntsville, AL), but they were all available in different shops, so I couldn't really compare them side by side. Besides, I want to try the Yamaha Custom models, which none of the shops here have in stock.

So I'm planning a saxophone hunting trip to a town nearby, and I think Nashville would be the perfect place to go. What I need here is some information on music shops in Nashville that would have a decent stocking of alto saxophones. I'm looking for a new one, so preferably not pawn shops, but it really all depends. If I drive 2 hours to Nashville, I might as well try out as many saxophones as possible, no?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Well, I've lived in Nashville nearly two years now and have yet to find a shop like that. Nashville seems to be very guitar-oriented...not so much saxophone. In fact, the closest music store to me in Hermitage had to SPECIAL ORDER a freakin' reed trimmer lol

I'll keep looking though. There's got to be something here for us.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, The official SOTW Little S
5,472 Posts
jzer21 said:
Well, I've lived in Nashville nearly two years now and have yet to find a shop like that. Nashville seems to be very guitar-oriented...not so much saxophone. In fact, the closest music store to me in Hermitage had to SPECIAL ORDER a freakin' reed trimmer lol

I'll keep looking though. There's got to be something here for us.
Heheh...Donelson Music Center. 2 out of 5 times do they have the reed I use. And they always assume that since I just say, "Give be a 3 V16 reed." that I play clarinet. Every time.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'llbe stopping in at Sam Ash in Madison. I see what's available and post later.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Didn't have much. 4 Cannonballs, a Yammy 85Z and a couple of Used Yammys. No high end Selmers.

·
Forum Contributor 2007-2012, Distinguished SOTW Te
3,314 Posts
Sam Ash can transfer things from other stores if you are interested. I don't think you have to purchase or put a down payment down, just say you would be interested in trying out a (insert make, model and finish here) and they can transfer it from a store that has some. Then if you like it, pricematch them if they aren't already the lowest price.

Works at the store where I am a tech (Manhattan) anyways.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts