Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a junior in High School and I'm starting to look into different universities. I'm looking for a good jazz school and or music education as I still cannot decide which I want to do. And planning on continuing into grad school.
So I'm looking at UNT, Miami, FSU, BYU and UT. But what other universities are there that are a good jazz or a music education school?

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,580 Posts
Michigan State University, Central Michigan University, Grand Valley State University.
But seeing that you are from Texas you may not appreciate the cold, snowy, Michigan winters... ;)

·
Registered
52 Posts
The University of Miami Frost School of Music is phenomenal, I heard them play last week and there jazz band is great, search em' up on Youtube to hear for yourself. *The downside is the cost, but there is nothing wrong on trying for a scholarship. - note: if you get a music scholarship at UM you much major (or double major) in music.*

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,647 Posts
Contact downbeat magazine and see if you can get a copy of one of their recent issues which has a comprehensive listing of schools with jazz programs.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bandmommy, I don't mind the cold weather as I used to live up North in Indiana for a while. Another university I was Indiana University as well.

Saxitola, I did tour Frost School of Music while I was down in Miami as I also used to live there to visit friends and to check out the university. I thought they were very great, and with their crazy high costs, the only way I would go to Miami is if I can get a scholarship.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
27,242 Posts
I'm looking for a good jazz school and or music education as I still cannot decide which I want to do.
It's a toss up as either one could lead to obsolete careers. The cost of college is too high these days to consider it anything less than an investment in your future. Invest wisely.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Indiana University has a 100% placement rate with their Music Ed. So does College-Conservatory of Music in Cincinnati.

There's a billion schools. You're going to get a ridiculous amount... For what it's worth, I looked at Eastman, CCM, Miami, Bowling Green, Indiana, University of Missouri Kansas City (Loved it). And plenty more...

-Bubba-

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,580 Posts
Indiana University has a 100% placement rate with their Music Ed[/B]. So does College-Conservatory of Music in Cincinnati.

There's a billion schools. You're going to get a ridiculous amount... For what it's worth, I looked at Eastman, CCM, Miami, Bowling Green, Indiana, University of Missouri Kansas City (Loved it). And plenty more...

-Bubba-

I don't believe that statement.

·
Banned
241 Posts
Being from the Boston area, I went to music school, and looked at many around my area in the process. I ended up choosing New England Conservatory, right in Boston. I couldn't have dreamed of a better experience. The faculty is amazing, as you get all the NYC guys that come up to teach, real players. I took lessons from Bergonzi, George Garzone, Cecil McBee, ensembles with George Russell, to name a few. Very small classes too. I think at the time my class of jazz performance majors was around 40 freshman total.
Also they have a great music Ed program. And you can double major at Tufts University, as well as take classes at Northeastern University.
Besides NEC, UMass Amherst has a great program. UNH does as well. Boston College always seemed to be good as well. And New England, especially Boston is a great place to live and play music.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
But if you were to choose the universities around Texas, where would you choose to go and why?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I don't believe that statement.
"Graduates of these programs enjoy a 100% placement rate, most often as school music teachers, community arts personnel, church musicians, faculty members at colleges and universities, and students in advanced programs of study."

-Bubba-

·
Premium Member
26,253 Posts
But if you were to choose the universities around Texas, where would you choose to go and why?
UNT, because it's, well, UNT, and UT Austin, because it's in Austin...

·
Registered
361 Posts
While schools may provide a great reputation and great teachers, I will submit to you that looking for a name does not necessarily mean walking out the door in 4 years as a recording player or a teacher. You get what you put in no matter where you go. Find a school with a program in a campus you are comfortable with. Practice, listen and PLAY as much as you can. I can tell you that the best musicians are not those that have learned the most, but those that play the most.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Since you are in Texas you should really go visit some of the Universities there, see a few concerts, talk to some students etc.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Since you are in Texas you should really go visit some of the Universities there, see a few concerts, talk to some students etc.
Good advice. I thought I was set on Indiana University. Went on a visit and realized I really didn't like the school at all. My advice, visit the schools your interested in, set up a lesson with the professors.

We could be more helpful if you could be more specific. Large, Small, Medium? City, or Rural? Distance from Texas?
When I went on the search, I thought it didn't matter how large, as long as it was the best school possible. Turns out, I don't think I could deal with a huge school, like IU.

-Bubba-

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
The 3 universities in Texas with full fledged jazz studies programs (they all have Music Ed).

North Texas
UT-Austin
Texas State

Visit/audition for all. Figure out which is best for you. I chose Texas State and am happy with my decision.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,647 Posts
The cost of college is too high these days to consider it anything less than an investment in your future. Invest wisely.
Riffing off of Grumps' comment, you're almost nuts paying out-of-state tuition at another school, when you can pay in-state-tuition at schools the quality of what's available to you in Texas - unless, of course, you want to get out of Texas for a broadening experience. Then you'd have to cost out how much added-value benefit you'd be getting compared with the additional costs of going to an out-of-state school.

·
Registered
511 Posts
UT is more like a conservatory. UNT is more like a factory. Of course I am biased, being a graduate of UT Music. The weird and sad thing is that now Im living in Denton. I miss Austin.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I have to throw in University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.

I am currently attending here and can say for sure it has a very strong jazz program. We won 8 downbeat awards last year!
Tenor saxophonist Chip McNeill is the director of Jazz studies here. Google or youtube that name...

I hear the music ed program is also very strong.
Just thought you would be interested to know...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts