Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dear all,

Has anyone have experience with this repair shop in Byrdstown, Tennesee?

I paid (in 2007) and sent a Mark VI to the shop (May, 2008) for a complete restore. No response since July except an email in September saying Mr Kay's father passed away.

Does anyone know Mr Kay and Mrs Kay and can help me pass a word to them?

What should I do to get at least my saxophone back?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Re: Music Instrument Repair Shop in Texas

name is "Music Instrument Repair Shop" or ????

by the way, neither I, nor google, nor wikipedia "list of cities in Texas" have ever heard of Byrdstown...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Oh, my bad, I always mistaken TN is Texas. Fortunately the saxophone did go to the shop in Tennessee (thanks to the zip code, I think)

I would like to say thank you to Patrick and everyone helping me on this issue. Just got an email from Mr Kay of the Repair shop updating me on the restoration progress. And, i am relieved.

Please excuse me for any trouble I caused and my poor US geography knowledge too.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts

LOL, next time, Larry, you might at least make sure that the letters in the state code are present in the state you are sending something to. That is - TN. There's no "N" in Texas and no "X" in Tennessee. :D

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts

Some states can get tricky. Minnesota/Maine screws me up occasionally.

·
Registered
17 Posts

I'm having the same problem with this shop... They've had my Buffet R13 clarinet along with full payment since last May and they haven't responded to a single phone call or e-mail since last July. I knew ahead of time they were slow but assumed it would be worth the wait. Until I stumbled on this post I was beginning to give up hope on my $2800 clarinet. I filed a complaint with the TN Better Business Bureau last week. Maybe they can find out what's going on. I don't care how well my clarinet turns out (assuming I ever see it again), I certainly will not recommend this shop to anyone.

·
Registered
17 Posts

I'm relieved to report that I've been contacted by the Mr. Kay at the Musical Instrument Repair Shop. Apparently they've undergone some difficult circumstances. My instrument should be ready within a few weeks.

·
Registered
7 Posts

I sent a trombone in November, fully paid since January. I keep getting excuses and "almost ready, only a few more weeks". Can anybody else update me on this shop?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I feel your pain!

They've had my professional Buffet R13 clarinet and $800 for 16 months! They became totally unresponsive so out of desperation I opened a case with the Tennesse Better Business Bureau back in January 2009. I immediately received a very nice letter of apology from Mrs. Kay along with some legitimate-sounding excuses. I was informed my clarinet would be ready to ship "in a few more weeks". It is now 6 months later and I haven't heard a peep from them!

The sickening part is that this has been going on for years! Check out this link. You'll see the same story from 2007.

http://patjolly.com/pipermail/musiciansclinic_patjolly.com/2007-July/000140.html

Being a bible-believing christian myself, it is especially saddening that these people claim to be christians and yet continue to lie and steal. They may have been a reputable business in the past but certainly not now.

I am re-opening my case with the BBB.

Good luck and spread the warning to other musicians.

BEWARE: Music Instrument Repair Shop in Byrdstown, Tennessee is a fraud.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well, folks... this is really depressing. I just received notification from the Tennessee BBB that "The Musical Instrument Repair Shop" did not respond to the complaint I filed against them. The BBB has therefore CLOSED the complaint as UNRESOLVED. I had hoped the BBB had a bit more influence.

I looked up "The Musical Instrument Repair Shop" in the BBBs website and found this info:

"Based on BBB files, Musical Instrument Repair Shop has a BBB Rating of F.
Reasons for this rating include:
14 complaints filed against business
2 complaints filed against business that were not resolved.
BBB does not have sufficient background information on this business.
Failure to respond to one complaint filed against business."

You can see the entire review by entering the business name on this URL:
http://www.bbb.org/us/Find-Business-Reviews/

Business Contact and Profile for Musical Instrument Repair Shop
Name: Musical Instrument Repair Shop
Phone: (931) 864-8383
Address: 5128 Robbinstown Rd.
Byrdstown, TN 38549
Principal: Kami Kay
Customer Contact: Kami Kay - (931) 864-8383
File Open Date: November 2002
Type of Business: Organ Tuners

BBB Accreditation: Musical Instrument Repair Shop is not a BBB Accredited business.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts

Oh man,

Thank you!

I have been in recent email contact with "Mr. Kay" about gold-plating the lip plate on the alto flute I got for my wife. The price was very reasonable and I was considering sending it to them.

It's good to know these are most likely the wrong folks to deal with. :(

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just received an informative call from the Pickett County Sheriff's office in response to an e-mail I sent them just two days ago about my situation with this business.

What I learned was the following:
1. They really are a ligitimate business.
2. The sheriff visits them regularly with complaints.
3. They are about 3 YEARS BEHIND SCHEDULE! (it would have been nice to know this up front)

I feel bad to have had to get the police involved, but when you've been told it would take "about 3 months" for the restoration and then nearly a year later "just a few more weeks" and then another 6 months later still no horn... I'd say I've been very patient with them.

But it still looks like it'll be another year or two...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
3,383 Posts

Is it really that common to pay in full up front for services? No wonder they are so far behind - there's no incentive for them to complete the work. I could see paying half up front maybe, to cover their costs plus some, but really.... they have your horn, which almost certainly is worth more than the cost of the services, so they have collateral on your payment - it would seem backwards to pay up front as well.

Could you just ask for the return of your horn and then file a lawsuit to recoup your payment?

Pete

·
Registered
17 Posts

The officer that called me was sympathetic with my plight but also assured me it's a legitimate business. I DO think you WILL get your horn back but I wouldn't venture a guess as to when. It could be years!

If you really want your horn back I would suggest you contact the Pickett County Sheriff's office. I found the contact info here:

http://hendersonnc.brb.ypsolutions....el1=Tennessee&level2=Pickett&level3=Byrdstown

FWIW... Mr. Kay sent me an apologetic e-mail a few days after the officer called me so I'm assuming he was paid a visit. Apparently the re-plating of the keys didn't come out so well and it had to sent out again.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Well, I finally got an email from Mrs. Kay saying that her husband burned his hand (2nd and 3rd degree) just before lacquering was to begin. Has this excuse been used before with anyone here?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the Holt
1,477 Posts

I think I'd be making a road trip to get my instrument back.

that sucks, guys--my condolences.

THEN, I'd take them to small claims court for up front fees and whatever damage, road trip costs, and any disassembly your horn has, as well as the with the BBB info to back myself up.

Time to put an end to those shenanigans. Leaving your horn there from now on and hoping for the best is insane at this point. (right???)

·
Administrator
13,994 Posts
I edited your title error, as it was grating on my native Texan nerves. :D
Don't mess with Texas.:cool:

I'd definitely make an effort to head down to their location and personally retrieve your horn, finished or not. What a joke of a business.:x

1 - 20 of 110 Posts