Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter (who is the real sax player in the house) and her cousin, the tuba player, are planning to perform for my father's 90th birthday party in a month. Some of his favorite music is by Fats Domino, so they're thinking Blueberry Hill, Walking to New Orleans, etc. With my daughter's jazz band friend (or me) on drums, I think it could sound good.
My question is - can the tuba player just basically read the bass part of the music, or is some transposing necessary? Would alto or tenor sax match best with the tuba, or does it matter? Excuse my ignorance; I'm mainly just an old drummer:) Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
681 Posts
If I remember correctly, playing Bass to Tuba music you have to take it up an octave. So, if a Tuba is playing Double Bass music they would have to take it down an octave I think?

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
That sounds fun. If you daughter can play by ear or transpose the melody from piano sheet music, and the tuba player read the bass line, it can sound good. What would be even better is to have a guitar or other chording instrument play the chords. With the drums this would be a full sounding ensemble.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts